Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

swiss stop blue pads

<< < (2/5) > >>

PH:

--- Quote from: JimK on June 13, 2018, 10:25:08 pm ---I'm nearing 20,000 miles on my original pads

--- End quote ---
have you tried using non CSS pads yet?
I can't remember how many miles I'd done but once the rim surface was smooth I changed to some of the normal pads I use on non CSS rims and the braking was at least as good and the wear rate acceptable.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: PH on June 15, 2018, 11:36:56 am ---...
I can't remember how many miles I'd done but once the rim surface was smooth I changed to some of the normal pads I use on non CSS rims and the braking was at least as good and the wear rate acceptable.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting, I suspected that might be the case, but I think you are the first whom has tried that and reported on it here.

My Koolstop CSS pads are not worn far enough to need changing yet, plus I have another spare set.  But by the time the spares are shot my rims should be smooth enough to warrant trying the softer pads.

JimK:
Bizarre experience today. I rode down to Salt Lake City, about 50 miles, and took the train back. I've done this quite a few times by now. There is a series of bike paths almost the whole way. There is one little connection that I had hope would be in place but I discovered isn't... oh well.

When I left the house, my brakes were working. But about half way to SLC... what? I am missing one brake pad off my rear brake!?! How could something like that happen?

Fortunately the path is extremely flat so it wasn't a big problem. I don't think I damaged my rim at all.

One fun coincidence.... there is a nice bike shop on the north side of SLC, where I come into town. In the past they've not been open on Mondays. I thought, hmmm, tomorrow is a big Utah holiday, Pioneer Day, and lots of shops are closed. Maybe this shop will be open? So I adjusted my route a little to swing by, and, wow, now the sign on the door says they're only closed on Sundays. Of course they didn't have pads for CSS rims, but that's no big deal. But it turned out that their new hours started today! This was the first Monday they were open!

My best theory is not a very good theory. But I did stop for a break at a grocery store along the way. Plenty hot here - upper 90s F I would guess. So I ate my banana in the store with their nice air conditioning. When I went out, there was another bike next to mine... and then a young man, I'd guess 14 or 15 years old, walked up to it. Perhaps I was the target of some teenage prank? Far fetched, but how does a brake pad fall out otherwise?

mickeg:

--- Quote from: JimK on July 24, 2018, 05:20:05 am ---Bizarre experience today. ...
When I left the house, my brakes were working. But about half way to SLC... what? I am missing one brake pad off my rear brake!?! How could something like that happen?...

--- End quote ---

That little pin that goes into the pad is intended to keep the pad from sliding out of the holder if you have the brake on while you roll backwards.  If you forgot to put the pin in or if the pin fell out, ...

Decades ago I had a bike where I remember the pad coming half way out of the holder when I was using the brake to avoid rolling backwards down a hill.  I do not recall the exact situation, maybe it was uphill and I stopped at a stop light or something like that.  Decades ago, brake pad holders like that never had pins in them, they relied on friction to hold the pad in the holder.

Or, on the pad holder there is a rotation arrow, if you put the pads and holders onto the bike with the right side on the left, etc., then the pin would keep the pads in the holder when braking - but that pin is tiny and I could see a hard brake put enough force on the pin to cause the pin to be insufficient for the task.  But I doubt that was what happened because if that happened you should have noticed when the pad slid out and you lost half your braking power while the metal on metal noise should have alerted you to something being not quite right.

John Saxby:
Jeez, Jim, glad it happened on a flat bit of ground, and not during a canyon descent... Trust you can get the replacement you need?

Very good detective thinking, George, assessing the possibilities--there's no substitute for detailed knowledge + relevant experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version