Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

swiss stop blue pads

<< < (5/5)

mickeg:

--- Quote from: PRP on September 30, 2018, 12:36:55 am ---hello, regarding CSS rims ..... is there any rim damage/contamination problem in using a "standard " brake pad insert [ie not a blue SwissStop]?  .what about "standard pad" wet and dry braking performance ? .i am guessing that "standard"  pad compound will be softer and wear faster.   thanks for any replies. PRP

--- End quote ---

When I first got my CSS rims, I was curious so I tried some regular pads and within a couple miles there was a bit of residue built up on the rim.  Switched to the Koolstop CSS pads that I bought to use on those rims immediately after that.  Have since been using the Koolstop CSS pads.

I have one more pair of Koolstop CSS pads (enough for one wheel), after that I plan to try regular pads.  I have two wheels with CSS rims, at my current rate of pad wear I will probably try regular pads in three or four years on one wheel.  Since my rims are smoothed down somewhat now compared to when new, maybe regular pads will work?

Koolstop makes Carbide pads that are different from Koolstop CSS pads.  I previously asked if Koolstop Carbide pads would work on CSS rims, Dave from the shop responded this way. 
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11275.msg84563#msg84563

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version