Community > Non-Thorn Related

Bar bags anyone?

<< < (2/7) > >>

mickeg:
Agree with everything Dan said for the use of a bar bag.  For example, I carry spare sunglasses, but they have almost no weight, so they are as far forward in teh bag as practical away from steering axis, heavier stuff like granola bars or or electronics are in the back (stern) to be closer to the steering axis.

I have two bags that I often use, both are out of production and I modified both, so you are not going to find any like them.  Made by Louis Garneau before I started modifying them.

I use the 55mm Thorn accessory bar on my Nomad (first photo).

On three other bikes I use a second stem to mount the bar bag lower and also to not consume valuable handlebar space (other photos, third photo note that I use an adjustable stem to get the mount even lower and closer to the steering axis).

You will notice the handling change with or without the bar bag, but it all depends on how much you put in it.

jags:
i just leave my ortlieb barbag on all the time  great bit of kit.holds as much as i want it to hold and never lets a drop of water in. ;)

anto.

mickeg:
And what do I put in the bag, 1st photo.

The 2nd photo of teh above post did not show the Thorn Accessory bar very well, so added one more photo.

And if you use drop bars with brifters, consider your bar bag width and placement, see 3rd photo.

in4:
Wow! Thank you all so much for posting your suggestions and experiences. I really appreciate reading about your choices of barbag and what you carry in them. I'm inclined to choose a larger type bag that is compartmentalised and has some sort of quick release system. I like the idea of being able to access a bag whilst on the move so a front to rear opener appeals. I'm also mindful of a barbag not impinging upon a front light system so Thorn's accessory bar might be a quite useful aid in this regard.
Thanks again.

David Simpson:

--- Quote from: in4 on February 02, 2018, 10:36:54 pm ---I like the idea of being able to access a bag whilst on the move so a front to rear opener appeals.

--- End quote ---

I have an Ortlieb 5, which opens from the rear. However the snaps which keep the lid closed are rather tight, so it is difficult to open or close the bag while riding. Maybe other people can manage it, but not me. It is easy to open/close while stopped.

Another reason for opening on the rear is better protection from the rain. With a front-opening lid, it is possible that the wind could push the water into the bag.

--- Quote from: in4 on February 02, 2018, 10:36:54 pm --- I'm also mindful of a barbag not impinging upon a front light system so Thorn's accessory bar might be a quite useful aid in this regard.

--- End quote ---

If your bike is big enough, you can use a Thorn accessory bar to mount the bag above a crown-mounted light and below a bar-mounted light, if you want to use both types of lights. That's what I do. I'm 6'0" tall and have a 590L Nomad. The accessory bar is mounted at the lowest part of the steerer, just above the headset. My dyno-powered light is mounted on the fork crown, and I have battery-powered lights mounted on my handlebar. I use both kinds of lights because I commute in dark rainy weather and I want to be seen. The batteries for my bar lights are in the handlebar bag. Very convenient.

Another benefit of the accessory bar is that it acts as a clamp on the steerer, so that is possible to remove the  handlebars without having the fork fall out of the headset. If you want to adjust your handlebar up or down by removing/adding spacers below the stem, you can do it easily. You can buy a locking headset spacer for this purpose (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/problem-solvers-locking-headset-spacer-for-1-18-inch-black), but an accessory bar works just as well.

- DaveS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version