Community > Non-Thorn Related

RIDES 2018 — add yours here

<< < (2/41) > >>

Andre Jute:
I'm not so sure that in a strange place, out in the open, I'd be able to sleep zipped into that sleeping bag, Dan. Even though I spent my youth in some rough places, I'm alive because I'm paranoid.

I have a duck down jacket, about two hundred quid a quarter-century ago from an emporium where my late mate Cormac Langford, a millionaire several times over, used to browse the racks in the sales "because I like seeing suits so expensive they can be reduced by a thousand pounds. I've never paid more than three hundred for a smart suit to wear to weddings and funerals." My duck down jacket was also made in China, with a light waxed canvas outer. It's almost new, though, because it rarely gets cold (subzero) enough here to wear it even when just sitting at my keyboard, never mind being active outside. I find a leather jacket, lightly padded, of more use on the coldest days here (2-3ºC, which some of you might find positively warm) because it keeps the wind off. For cycling it is very rarely cold enough to require more than an undershirt, polo shirt (both cotton) and a good quality cycling jacket, though long johns and sturdy cords are good on your bike in the depth of the winter.

Also, the first essential in real cold is to cover your head, through which up to a sixth of your body heat is lost.

Loved your pano photo, Jim. Is that culvert wishful thinking by the landowner or does it rain there sometimes?

JimK:
That culvert goes for miles! It's the Ogden-Brigham canal - https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/ogden-river-project-ogden-ut/ All around here is an amazing system of irrigation canals. They are definitely still functioning. Exactly who uses how much for what, that I don't know. Our property has two pipelines coming in, one to the house for drinking water, the other out at the curb for irrigation. They turn off the irrigation water in October. We just moved here in July - I don't know yet when they turn it back on! The Ogden-Brigham Canal runs very close to our house - I think that's where our irrigation water comes from.

It would be grand if I could just ride the canal road from here up to Willard, but there is a big quarry in the way. How they manage to keep the canal working despite all the dynamite... somehow they do!

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---I'm not so sure that in a strange place, out in the open, I'd be able to sleep zipped into that sleeping bag, Dan.
--- End quote ---
Well, if the night is clear I'll sometimes "cowboy camp" tentless in the open desert so I can see the vast bowl of the sky overhead, Milky Way on full display. Gets cold, but the view is worth it. :) Coyotes aren't too bad....

Planning another major Great Basin tour this Spring.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK:
here's a satellite photo of that canal going through a gravel pit. The canal goes vertically = north through the middle of the picture. They've got some big machines in there! The canal road seems to go along the canal pretty much the whole way, but I won't try riding my bike through there!

Andre Jute:
Fascinating places.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version