Community > Non-Thorn Related

RIDES 2018 — add yours here

<< < (41/41)

jags:
It was bitter cold yesterday on the course,its only a few years ago I was cycling with theocal group all year round hail rain or snow I must have been mental :D.the pitch and putt gets me out of the house and it's great exercise and pain free.be careful out there andre not worthgetti.g injured get you walking shoes on

jags:
Just finished washing servicing my Audax put her upstairs in the spare bedroom with my Terry Dolan I reckon they will be there until next summer.

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: jags on October 28, 2018, 11:47:22 am ---be careful out there andre not worthgetti.g injured get you walking shoes on
--- End quote ---

One of the advantages of riding so much in the country lanes around one little town is that you get to know every pothole and every wellspring under a road. We have one underground stream that keeps breaking through no matter how often they rebuild the road. It turns about 40 feet of the entire road width into black ice -- ask me, I was halfway into it before I realized my mistake: fortunately my bike has a low stepover, and I just planted both feet on the road and held the handlebars straight and slid back to a safe surface. We turned around and headed back. We stopped a couple of cars to warn them. The first was a woman whose children were on their farm up the hill; she said all the other roads were already closed or appeared more dangerous and asked me twice to repeat my instructions for driving on black ice (a high gear, smooth pressure on the accelerator, no sudden inputs with the wheel, don't brake at all, remember if you're sliding backwards to turn the wheel into the camber of the road). She got through and her husband stopped us on the road a week or so later to thank us. The second was a guy in a big Audi who jerked himself up and said, "I know what I'm doing!", which he didn't as we heard him crash and saw the police and the ambulance, which we called when we heard the crash, go by.

Surprising thing is that since heart surgery several years ago now, I have been steadier on my bike than on my feet. Must be some kind of gyroscopic effect of heavy touring rims, big Sapim Strong spokes, heavy tubes in heavier Big Apple tyres, all spinning like mad.

Andre Jute:
 Click here to be transported to 2019 Rides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version