Community > Tandem Talk

Flying with Tandem

<< < (3/3)

rdk8487:
Thanks for your detailed post. We are in the process of getting a new coupled Thorn tandem and I just wanted to clarify part of your statement. You specifically mention you put the front part of the bike and the rear wheel together in a bag and the rear part of the bike with the front wheel. I've never had a coupled tandem before so could you explain why it works better this way.

Thanks so much for the help.

--- Quote from: percussionken on October 13, 2017, 08:53:52 am ---
Regarding flying we put the front part and rear wheel and all the parts in the S&S soft bag. The rear with front wheel we put in this bag;
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/baggage/products/body-bag-compact-bike-bag
We cover the sides with card board taken from a bicycle card board box..
The frame is covered with pipe insulation and bubble wrap at rear and front. And, very important the bottom is protected with two of this ;
https://www.rosebikes.se/artikel/rose-bigblock/aid:21988
You put front and rear chain wheels in this blocks and the bottom is protected, they have never failed us.

--- End quote ---

percussionken:

--- Quote from: rdk8487 on February 09, 2018, 09:13:01 pm ---Thanks for your detailed post. We are in the process of getting a new coupled Thorn tandem and I just wanted to clarify part of your statement. You specifically mention you put the front part of the bike and the rear wheel together in a bag and the rear part of the bike with the front wheel. I've never had a coupled tandem before so could you explain why it works better this way.

Thanks so much for the help.

--- End quote ---

Hi
Sorry for the late answer.
I can only say that we had the S&S soft bag and the Groundeffects bag before we had the tandem and I saw it might be possible to use them when flying. So by using the packing material with the Rose-blocks it worked out fine. Also I first packed both wheels with front frame half in the S&S soft bag but it was a tight fit with to much pressure on the zippers, so the front wheel went down in the Groundeffects bag with no problems.
Since I bought the Groundeffects bag they have started to make it about 15-20 cm longer which should make it even easier to pack. Now its a tight fit with packing material lenght wise but it works. Lastly, all the lose parts also goes down in the S&S soft bag.

So, this is my method but I cant say its the only method.
Regards, Kenneth

HugoC:
This is an old thread but nevertheless just wanted to add my own recent experience with easyjet. The conditions for checking a bike into the hold are clear (total width+length+height of the bike box must not exceed 275cms, and maximun weight is 32kg). Our decoupled Thorn Raven twin fitted within these constraints and the check in at Manchester Airport went smoothly. I paid the fee for the bike online (£45). When the bike box emerged at Bordeaux, I was very pleasantly surprised by it's good condition. We sourced the  box locally from a LBS (they actually gave us a new unused one) and it had to be cut down to size to meet the size restrictions. Larger boxes do seem to be quite common (is it the craze for ebikes?). You are only supposed to pack your bike in the box (no tent, clothing etc) and anyway there wouldn't have been much capacity for extra items as the weight of the box and padded bike was about 30.5kg. The contents weren't checked so maybe I could have thrown a pair of socks in there.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version