Author Topic: DIY replacement front flap for 65 mm SKS chromoplastic mudguard  (Read 3067 times)

Javier

DIY replacement front flap for 65 mm SKS chromoplastic mudguard
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:30:16 pm »
I am attaching some pictures of a DIY replacement of the front flap of the 65 mm SKS chromoplastic mudguard. I made this one using a polyethylene terephthalate disposable bottle of water. I used the original flap as a template to cut the new one. It has been fitted by sliding it under the metal bracket, so you do not need to remove the original rivets and still stays in place very secured. In my experience the material is better (stiffer but still flexible) than the original flap. The original front flap was a pain in the neck under strong Patagonian tailwind as it was rubbing against the tyre and eventually was caught by the tread of front tyre bending it up under the mudguard.
I hope this helps and apologies if I am re-inventing the wheel.

Matt2matt2002

Re: DIY replacement front flap for 65 mm SKS chromoplastic mudguard
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:41:32 pm »
Many thanks
This has been on my to do list for ages.
Name/ make of bottle you used,?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:01:06 pm »
good job very neat work. 8)

jags

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:56:38 pm »
I think I used a black plastic lid from a Folgers brand coffee container.  The material by itself is quite flexible but the curvature of the fender makes it stiff.

Javier

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »
Thanks Matt, jags,
I used a bottle of cylindrical shape and flat walls (non corrugated), 0.38 mm wall thickness (thicker that the original SKS flap 0.28 mm), this type of bottle renders plenty of flat usable material. It you cut the flap in the length of the bottle you will get a very convenient pre-curved flap that helps matching the curvature of the mudguard.
The disposable water bottles that I used are "Solán de Cabras" 1.5 liters, not sure about their world-wide availability (you can search for pictures in the web to get an idea about the shape of these bottles). These are bottles that many people reuse at home because they are well made and nice looking, with thicker walls than many other disposable bottles. They come in blue and pink colour, sorry, no black.
When you cut the slot on the flap I would recommend you start it using a round punch of the same diameter that the width of the slot to avoid creating square corners that could lead the material to tear up, though it is unlikely.
I am sure you can use many other bottles or containers that will do the job just fine... but "Fizzy Bubblech" bottles   :)
Regards

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »
It looks like they are semi disposable?
Did you make a couple?

Also - one for the rear as well?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Javier

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
Hi Matt,

I do not think they are intended to be "semi-disposable" but people like them and use them at home.
I made two front ones, one pink (it was the bottle I had available at that time) and then I made a second one using a blue bottle because I liked the colour better.
I did not made any rear one because I have no problems of spray in the rear mudguard and I try to avoid fitting in the bike anything which is not functional.

Javier