Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Rohloff flange support rings

<< < (2/5) > >>

mickeg:
I was unaware that they increased the flange diameter on one side, you would only do that if there was a reason to do that.  Perhaps that side was a bit weaker with the drilling and taping for the eight or nine hub cap screws?

Since the optional reinforcing rings are also made from Aluminum instead of steel, I can't imagine that they add that much extra strength to the flange. 

I had a heavy load on my Nomad in Iceland, it worked just fine.  But I did have one confusing issue.  In the photo you can see one spoke has a big dent in it.  Not sure how that happened, but I am guessing that the front wheel threw a rock into the rear wheel while I was riding and that rock landed between the frame and spoke.  WHile that sounds like an unlikely occurrence, that is the only thing that I could think of to cause that on that particular day.  The last 5 or 10 miles I had noticed the rear brake rubbing in one spot on the wheel but it was late and I wanted to keep going that day.  The spoke was quite loose when I took the photo the next day.   I suspected that the spoke or nipple threads had given out, but fortunately I could true up the wheel with a spoke wrench and did not have to replace the spoke and nipple.  I used straight gauge spokes in my wheel because I could not find a source of the double butted spokes I wanted to use.  If I was ever going to have a flange failure, I would have expected it to happen at that time considering the force necessary to bend that spoke that way.

macspud:
Yes mickeg,

Looking at the damage on that spoke it's unusual, as you say; it must have taken quite some force to kink it like that. Did you renew the spoke after the tour or has it stayed true since.

Perhaps they did find that side to be weaker, that would seem to be the obvious reason, though from the few photos of flange damage available on the net, the damage seems to be fairly evenly distributed between the two flanges.

I'm sure Rohloff have their reasons, I was just curious after noticing the change.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: macspud on January 27, 2017, 08:27:19 pm ---Yes mickeg,

Looking at the damage on that spoke it's unusual, as you say; it must have taken quite some force to kink it like that. Did you renew the spoke after the tour or has it stayed true since.

--- End quote ---

I have just left it the way it is.  Upon tightening the spoke to true the wheel, the spoke mostly straightened out.  I have not really worried about it since.

I carry my spare spokes in the seatpost, so spares are always with the bike.  If I had a failure near home I would just ride it home but if I was on a trip somewhere I would have the spokes handy if needed.

onebikeoneworld:
Bizarre. One of my rear spokes looked like that too. I've also been to Iceland, maybe that's the problem! I rode with it with that kink it in for months and it didn't seem to develop into anything more.

macspud:
Does anyone know of a link which shows a red Rohloff Speedhub with the flange support rings fitted, I ask as the rings only seem to come in black.

Whilst I was looking online for an example of a red hub with rings I came across this: http://freshwrx.co/rohloff-speedhub-500-14/rohloff-speedhub-500-14-the-main-drawback-to-this-technology-is-that-it-expensive-by-way-we-have-a-super-nice-gearing-calculator-will-help-you-figure-out-cena/  I wonder how long the hub flanges will last on this stangely laced wheel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version