Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Rohloff flange support rings

<< < (5/5)

Cruz:
Hi.
What type of material is used for these flange support rings?
Maybe would be better to make such rings with cnc machine with titanium or with other high quality material, that the inner diameter will fit tightly and perfect too.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:

--- Quote ---Hello Dave,

Could you tell me, please. How much would it add to the cost off a wheel build to have the factory/service centre thermal expansion/shrink fit rings added to my Rohloff during a re-rim/build?
--- End quote ---

£9.99 each ring.

JohnR:

--- Quote from: mickeg on March 18, 2019, 04:52:46 pm ---I assumed the rings would fit on tightly, possibly needing some force considering that I still had nine spokes under tension on the hub shell flange.  But sliding the rings on was easier than expected.  I did the drive side first, it fell into place quite easily.  The non-drive side, I had to push the ring onto the shell flange, but finger pressure was adequate, no tools were needed to push the ring onto the flange.

--- End quote ---
I'm resurrecting this because today I fitted the support rings onto a hub which is going to be rebuilt with a 584 rim instead of a 622 rim. I was a little worried by the comments suggesting that the rings needed to be heated but my experience was the same as that reported by @mickeg: The rings can be pushed into place using fingers and thumbs and the flange on each ring stops them from going too far. I did the non-drive side first and the ring fitted into place easily but snugly. I then did the drive side and that was a much tighter fit and I'm wondering if the hub flange is slightly enlarged through use (but only about 6,500 miles of use and no heavy loads). The attached photo shows some wear on the flange adjacent to the flange holes on the drive side. I didn't notice anything similar on the other flange.

PH:

--- Quote from: JohnR on August 25, 2022, 09:00:26 pm ---I was a little worried by the comments suggesting that the rings needed to be heated
--- End quote ---
I don't know why you'd have thought that, back a few posts on this thread:

--- Quote from: Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop on March 18, 2019, 08:39:18 am ---- Aftermarket slip fit rings only come in black.
- The factory/service centre fit rings come in 2 colours Black and Silver, service centres like us can fit either they are heated up in a controlled way and they dropped onto a cold hub which causes them to shrink.

--- End quote ---
How are you re-building?  I'm not sure whether it's better to try and get a close match, or stay away from previous wear so the spoke is against fresh metal. I did the latter on my Airnimal 24" wheel, even though it puts the oil screw in an awkward place.   Either way, I'd be tempted to smooth the burrs before starting.
What's the project?

JohnR:
The wheel rebuild is for my Elan Rohloff (which is now an Elan Ti Rohloff for greater comfort). The wheels from the donor bike used 622 rims but I've decided after over 3k miles that slightly smaller wheels would be beneficial. The two main reasons are (i) with optimum saddle to pedal spacing I struggle to get more than a toe on the ground when stopped and (ii) there will be more space between saddle and rear mudguard for baggage. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version