Author Topic: "8 Best solar chargers" The Independent Newspaper  (Read 3222 times)

rualexander

Re: "8 Best solar chargers" The Independent Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:54 pm »
Pretty poor article really.
Factually incorrect too "With all these solar chargers, real sunlight is required. But it doesn't matter if it's overcast - it's the UV rays which give the chargers life", this is wrong, most solar cells use visible light, not UV, and they will work under artificial light as well as "real sunlight".
Still, interesting to see some of the stuff available, although I think there are many more that are more suited to our cycle touring applications.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:57:29 pm »
If you get one, look at the wattage of the panel if you really plan to use it as a solar charger. 

I am finally chucking my old cheapo powerbanks that I got on ebay shipped from China, thus I was looking for a replacement.  I bought a couple power banks that have a solar panel built in.  But, the panel at 0.1 watts is probably only enough to keep the charge up if I store them in the window.  I calculated that at that rated power for the panel, they would likely take at least 28 hours to charge the battery, so I essentially bought a couple power banks.  But I knew that before I ordered them so, I got what I expected and I assumed I would have to charge them from a USB port.

And, if you get one, look for one that has a method of telling you how much charge the battery has.  The cheapo powerbanks that I am chucking do not have any way of telling me how much power they have.  The ones I just got have four LEDs that tell me state of charge by roughly 25 percent per LED that lights up when I push the test button.

Quite frankly, since a solar panel should last for a very long time (unless it is broken), and Li Ion batteries have a limited lifespan, it might be best to get a solar panel and separate cache battery.  Then if the battery goes, you can replace just the battery instead of having to replace a combination unit that couples a battery with the solar panel.  I have a couple panels that put out about 2.0 to 2.5 watts in direct sunlight through the built in USB port, no battery is included in those panels.  This way I can use the panels with separate cache batteries.  I have not used the panels yet, but expect to this coming August on a kayaking trip.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 02:28:26 am »
Hi All!

I'm on my third year with a pair of these Joos Solar chargers. I only require one on my tours, but was so pleased with the first one I purchased, I bought a second using a dividend from REI co-op: http://solarjoos.com/
Tech specs here: http://solarjoos.com/tech-specs

Pre-read summary:
They are not perfect, but have worked well and reliably in my use with a relatively high charging rate compared to other units I've tried. I wish they were much lighter, had larger-capacity storage batteries for the weight, ready-made mounts for touring bicycles, and would fill more than 90% from a mains charger (sun exposure is required for the remaining 10% charge).
=====
The Solar Joos has a power gauge (LED blinks...takes awhile to become familiar with it, but it works to show both state and rate of charge), a PC app if desired for finer understanding of battery health and charge rates/levels, and the 20Wh – 5,400 mAh Li-po battery is user-replaceable. It will (has) charge(d) while fully submerged under water and also charges on cloudy days and inside my tent, albeit much more slowly (ref Rualaxander's comment above). It takes about 18-20 hours total in continuous *bright* sunshine for the accumulator battery to go from flat to full, hence my purchase of a second for extended periods "away" when not riding my dyno-charger equipped bicycles. The accumulator battery is also replaceable,and holds at least 80% charge for a year in my use. It is*heavy* (battery and steel heat sink/backing plate), but tough as nails and reliable as houses for me in my use, a major plus. It can also be physically locked to the bike while Away (using a cable or smallish chain), ensuring it will still be there upon return. If removed, it fits neatly under the lid-cap of my size Large Ortlieb handlebar bag.

Mine has been dropped face down on gravel and rocks by me and on the corner of a scanner table by airport security personnel, drowned in days of rain, scarred by a dropped crankarm across the face, and has survived sustained high temps of 45.5°C in operation and managed a couple of days/nights very sluggishly at -23.3°C. I made some web straps to attach and mount mine atop my tent on the rear rack.

The trick if to never, ever charge from it during the day, instead using daylight to charge its own accumulator battery, then drawing from it to charge other gadgets (primarily my phone and Eneloop AA/AAA batteries in an Eneloop USB charger) while in camp overnight. Output is 5vdc at up to 1.0A. For continued use, I tried to draw no more than 50-66% power from its total capacity overnight to ensure I could recharge it fully the next day. Going past that, you'll find yourself in debt as there may not be enough sunshine on continued rainy/heavily overcast days to keep up, a limitation I've found with all solar chargers used on continued non-sunny days.

When I did my double-crossing of Europe, the bike AndyBG loaned me had no dynohub-charger, so I used one of these instead, augmented by a 20,000mAh pile that was rechargeable only from mains power. The Joos did most of the job alone, but needed help when demand was high and there were sustained cloudy/rainy days. In those conditions, I think a second unit might have completely substituted for the reserve pile but would have totaled more weight then I wanted to carry. For more sustained requirements (i.e. continuous GPS tracking throughout each day's travel), I would prefer a dyno-charger or other setup that ensured a steady charging rate provided I rode long enough at the required pace. All these on-bike gadgets have their limitations, and charging requirements can become a lifestyle of sorts successfully balance demand/replenishment.

Early model Joos Solar chargers suffered from problems with the charging cord/socket that resulted in many poor reviews. Mine were not problematic but were among those listed as affected, so the company sent me replacement cords for free. 

Best,

Dan.