Author Topic: Nomad Mk.III PBP Build with novel handlebar arrangement  (Read 12303 times)

tt2cycletours

Nomad Mk.III PBP Build with novel handlebar arrangement
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:50:12 pm »
This bike was assembled to try and be as comfortable as possible on a bike for audax riding, it did achieve that goal but probably at the expense of too much speed and increased effort.

I also experimented with connecting two bullhorn handlebars to allow GPS bike computer to be mounted in a much more ergonomic position. The aluminium bracket for mounting the GPS is too large and clunky, but I might try again to make a much smaller neater 'bike dash' in a similar position on the bike. As a proof of concept prototype, it has some potential/logic, but has quite a long way to go. Certainly has generated both some scorn and interest.  A couple of guys at the event told they were going to build one themselves! I did enjoy having lots of hand positions, and having easy access to Garmins while on tri-bars felt very safe.

I am going to go for a lighter bike. I did manage to officially finish PBP but only because I took the much longer 90 hour slot and only just finished with a bit of help for the last 100 km from a friendly German cyclist (he took point in our mini-peloton to help me get to the position of only 21km to cover in last hour). We were also joined by a young Japanese cyclist.

Will sell this frame (spray painted white, over the original Imron Blue), with a the blue disc fork (unsprayed).  It is the largest frame size, for drop handlebars which is now discontinued.

And I will be looking to sell the white fork (orignially red).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:43:11 am by tt2cycletours »
It is always better by bike!

mickeg

Re: Nomad Mk.III PBP Build with novel handlebar arrangement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 01:43:09 am »
That Nomad might be the only Nomad of any era that has completed PBP.

PH

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 07:42:45 pm »
Congratulations, what an achievement.  I know three who rode PBP this year, one who's done it twice before said the heat made it the hardest of the three, the other two were attempting it for the first time, one was just inside the time limit and the other OOT.
An interesting looking bike and set up, Nomad wouldn't have been my choice to base it on, but then again I'm never going to do anything comparable to PBP. Even for the distances I do, I prefer the Mercury, it isn't the weight per se, rather the flex in the frame makes it easier to sit on all day.
What bike next? Sticking with the Rohloff or changing gearing as well?  Any more big rides planned?

tt2cycletours

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 11:39:07 pm »
Thanks, I did have to stop for three hours at Brest due to the heat making me feel a bit weak (possible one of the best afternoon naps ever).

And yes, the Nomad is probably fairly low down anyone's list for an audax steed... I am in the Zinn Cycles think tank regarding proportional length cranks, using 200mm most of the time or 190mm, and I already owned the frame so thought it was cost effective option compared to custom frames as the bottom bracket height is high to facilitate all the possible wheel sizes and I had the EBB inverted to gain a bit more height still.  And it is a nice thought that you own a bike you could cycle around the world on, might actually use the frame a single speed commuter for now.

So I am an DNF from LEL 22... so if I can get a place I would like to have another go (2025)... I ended up doing London Edinburgh Cambridge+ at  about 3 hours over time, and had multiple issues at that point encouraging me to stop... it almost as if you can have too much fun.  Although I have significant experience of cycling longer distances, doing it day after day and judging how much to sleep to get, takes a bit of practice.  I was amused that at first stop at St Ives (Cambs) control there were hundreds of cyclist with volunteers directing the traffic in and out of the bike park... on my second visit I was the only one there with 4 volunteers in attendance!

I also hope to do at least a 600km next summer to test kit/bike/protocol... and I am also interested to test the water with one of the longer European ones.

I have another Nomad, which is next on the list to get sorted and I intend to have some version of the 'bike dash' on it, and will gladly share some pics once complete.

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 09:08:36 am »
I am in the Zinn Cycles think tank regarding proportional length cranks, using 200mm most of the time or 190mm, and I already owned the frame so thought it was cost effective option compared to custom frames as the bottom bracket height is high to facilitate all the possible wheel sizes and I had the EBB inverted to gain a bit more height still. 
That's interesting and not something I'd considered, the Nomad certainly feels high, something I soon get used to, though the first few miles swapping between it and the Mercury, in either direction, always feels a bit odd.

tt2cycletours

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 03:57:48 pm »
So, any feedback on my decal design... does anyone else like the modern/sleek font?

in4

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 07:53:26 pm »
Personal choice I guess.Fair play to you for creating unique decals. Subtle messaging going on there.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 10:55:06 pm »
Understated (no bad thing! -- makes people look more closely ;))