Author Topic: Disc brake pads, Hope and Mercury  (Read 3125 times)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
Disc brake pads, Hope and Mercury
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:59:51 pm »
My Mercury has Hope Race X2 brakes. Cycling home this evening I suddenly got a strange regular clicking noise out of the rear wheel. Turned out it was coming from the disc caliper and the spring (looks more like a clip) had twisted  in between the disc pad and the rotor. The disc pad has pretty good damage so i will put new ones in.
Two questions; the pad was marked Aztec 14B-1, I cannot find any reference to that pad, is it a correct one? and the right pad, is "Hope Race X2 Standard Alu Disc Brake Pad" or "Hope X2 Sintered Disc Brake Pad", or "Aztec Organic disc brake pads for Hope Tech X2 callipers" correct?
Are they just a selection of the many pads that will work?

For bonus marks what is the difference between sintered and green pads.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Disc brake pads, Hope and Mercury
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:24 pm »
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/brake-pad-information-2009.html is worth a read if you want to know more about the various compounds. Usually the code on the back is a production date 14B-1 is likely 2014 Feb, 1st week of production, rather than the pad shape. You can't go to far wrong with Hope OEM pads, but most are reasonable quality nowadays. 

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:21:45 pm »
Dave, you are a font of knowledge, "Usually the code on the back is a production date".....that is the sort of detail that could make an innocent's life a mess.

The web page suggests;
you should run metallic pads if:
-You are heavy
-You ride downhill
-The conditions are wet, muddy, etc.

and run resin pads if:
-you are light
-Conditions are dry
-You like lots of initial grab
-Your riding is less hard on brakes i.e. dirt jump/street, XC, etc.

I'm 82kg and tend not to carry much. Is that "heavy". Probably commuting in winter in Ireland is "wet, muddy", or does muddy mean real mud! My commuting tends to be "light rolling".
Probably mixing the two types is not a good idea unless you really know what you are doing.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »
I would run standard resin/organic pads for your usage.

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:52 pm »
thanks, have taken your advice