Author Topic: staying logged in?  (Read 5530 times)

Donerol

staying logged in?
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:07:22 am »
All right, I'm a muppet.

Ever since the forum upgrade I have to log in anew each time I visit, even on the same day, in spite of selecting 'forever' in the options.

Somewhere recently there was a post about fixing it through the profile settings - but although I've searched I can't find it  >:( .

As I freely admit, I'm a muppet.......but please would someone help as it's driving me nuts!

jags

Re: staying logged in?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:37:34 am »
most of the time i forget to log out ::)
just at that age i suppose.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:14:16 pm »
My experience: when I first bring up the forum in my browser (Firefox), I see the space for my userid to login. But I ignore that and just click into the forum content. With that first move off the forum home page, all of a sudden it remembers that I am still logged in. If I then return to the forum home page, it still knows that I am logged in.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »
Thanks so much, Donerol (and others) for your bug reports. I have forwarded them on to Adrian (Thorn's IT man) for his review and hopefully he can address them.

I have tried a number of browsers on a number of platforms and am unable to duplicate the (non)persistent login problem, so I cannot help directly. I know it is real and is happening from the number of similar reports. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, and am sorry for the inconvenience.

As a suggestion, try cleaning your browser's cache, history, and cookies (depending on your client, this might be done at once, or might require separate steps) and see if that helps. You will have to login freshly the first time, but not thereafter if you choose the "Forever" option.

There are a couple issues to be addressed before we are back to where we were. The spell checker needs to be enabled (a server-side operation to install and enable the libraries, not part of the Forum options), the thumbnails for old photo attachments do not appear except as generic icons, and some (not all) older photo attachments are partially corrupted, usually at the bottom 1/3 of the photo (I think as part of the transfer process during the upgrade). Also, there are some other anomalies evident only behind the scenes.

If you find any other anomalies, please let me know and I will pass them on.

All the best,

Dan.
Thorn Cycling Forums Administrator

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:45:13 pm »
Bingo! I've duplicated the problem on a PC still running Windows XP and  the Comodo Chromodo browser, a variant of Google Chrome.

Now, we're getting somewhere, 'cos I can see it. I log in, the browser asks if I wish to have it remember the login and password, I answer yes, and...next visit, the information is stored in the login box, but I have to manually login.

With all my other platforms and browsers, the Forum simply opens and it is as it was. Clearing the browser cache did not work.

Onward.

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:01 pm »
My guess is that Chromodo is handles cookies differently, so the session ID is not being returned to the forum server.

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:14:53 pm »
One more bit of user data on the login question:  The Forum remembers who I am, my userid and password, plus the length-of-time-to-be-logged-in, but requires that I click the "Login" button.  So I do.  No big deal -- the sequence puts me in mind of "The Log Driver's Waltz":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUDBJkeFNY&feature=iv&src_vid=upsZZ2s3xv8&annotation_id=annotation_1094807513

Kate and Anna McGarrigle singing Wade Hemsworth's song  :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »
My guess is that Chromodo is handles cookies differently, so the session ID is not being returned to the forum server.
<nods> Yep, I think that's it exactly, Dave.

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 10:17:09 pm »
One more bit of user data on the login question:  The Forum remembers who I am, my userid and password, plus the length-of-time-to-be-logged-in, but requires that I click the "Login" button.

John --

Your userid and password are being filled in by your browser, not by the forum's server. The browser remembers what you have previously entered into the different input boxes on the web page, and fills them in for you the next time you visit that page, as a convenience for you.

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 10:55:02 pm »
Thanks, David. The Firefox/Mozilla wallahs are a thoughtful bunch ;-)

Donerol

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies - really interesting the way these things work (or don't work!)

I should have said that I'm using the latest Firefox, 40.0.3, on Linux. It hadn't occurred to me NOT to go through the usual login process, but it is quite true that if I click the 'login' button without filling in anything more, it does indeed log me in - so that is a great improvement. Moving to one of the content sections also works, but I'll stick to using the 'login' button as I can then see immediately where the new content is.

Still not as slick as other forums that remember me properly, but no longer much of an inconvenience - result!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »
Still not as slick as other forums that remember me properly...
That's because we're "special".  ::)

Working to become a little less so in these irritating ways and even moreso in the important ones!

All the best,

Dan.

onrbikes

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:51:11 am »
I too have the same issue even after many clean-ups.

Updated Safari 6.2.8 (I use a Mac)
Deleted all my cookies and saved passwords.

Still the same, but I tried something different.
When I get on the site it looks as if I'm not logged and I have to log in. So instead of logging in, I click onto any topic and then the normal scene shows up with my name and my favourite 'show unread posts'.

Weird, but it works.

in4

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 11:06:33 am »
I use Firefox on my Mac and have no problems. Just log in and you are prompted by Firefox if you wish to save your details.

jags

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 02:21:31 pm »
the nuns certainly wern't to be messed aroud with  ;D