Author Topic: dynamo lights  (Read 22591 times)

il padrone

Re: dynamo lights
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 12:00:22 am »
Locally, drivers have come to recognize cyclists in daytime by high-viz, neon yellow-green jerseys and jackets and at night by white and red LED blinkys -- to the point where both are almost mandatory if one is to be seen and recognized as a cyclist in the traffic stream.
I have taken to using solely solid (non-flashing) lights. It ensures drivers mistake me for a (slow) motorbike. In my local area if the drivers know you are on a bicycle they tend to take impolite and unsafe liberties.

mickeg

Re: dynamo lights
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 02:21:50 am »
Locally, drivers have come to recognize cyclists in daytime by high-viz, neon yellow-green jerseys and jackets and at night by white and red LED blinkys -- to the point where both are almost mandatory if one is to be seen and recognized as a cyclist in the traffic stream.
I have taken to using solely solid (non-flashing) lights. It ensures drivers mistake me for a (slow) motorbike. In my local area if the drivers know you are on a bicycle they tend to take impolite and unsafe liberties.

Daytime I use flashing red light to rear.  Night time constant on so that they can get better depth perception which is very hard to estimate on a flashing light.  Sometimes I have run one flashing and one constant on at night.

To the front, I never use flashing.