Technical > Transmission

Installing an electric mid-motor

<< < (2/8) > >>

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on April 24, 2015, 04:56:49 am ---Looks interesting, and a straightforward installation. Will you be installing it yourself?
--- End quote ---

As soon as UPS actually permits me to have it.

jags:
if u run into any problems Andre give Dan a shoot  don't attempt to  ring me  ;D ;D.

btw did u see where the UCI are looking into the pro's riding motor assisted bikes  hidden in the seat tune  made by  an aussis company ,i tell you something you'de never be up to these boys  ;D ;D

jags:
Here u go Andre its this rocket fuel u need not a motor.
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/ener-gel/10530821.html

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---...if the external diameter BB shell on a bike designed with an EBB does not exceed this 12mm over and above the internal diameter of a normal BB shell, the BBS motor can be fitted to the bike with the EBB
--- End quote ---
Andre, a quick calipering of my Nomad Mk2's BB shows it is unlikely to fit. With the "meat" (largest part) of the eccentric at the bottom of its travel, there is 13mm of clearance between the outer edge of the shell and the outer edge of the outboard bottom bracket's *cups*, meaning there is more space yet to the edge of the BB threads.

It is possible the motor might fit (assuming it cleared the eccentric grub screw bosses on the BB), but it seems unlikely the EBB could be turned through its entire range of motion to retension the chain due to the 12mm limit. Of course, a chain tensioner could be fitted, but it would have to be secured by the rear axle nut or q/r or be of the type that fastens to the chainstay. Neither is ideal compared to the usual EBB on Thorn frames, which are not equipped with Rohloff OEM sliding dropouts.

I think it is safest to say these mid-motors will work *best* with conventional, non-eccentric bottom brackets and Thorns sporting the same, so only Sherpas and Club Tours in Thorn's current range.

Sorry you're suffering a delivery delay, Andre.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on April 26, 2015, 01:20:28 am ---Andre, a quick calipering of my Nomad Mk2's BB shows it is unlikely to fit. With the "meat" (largest part) of the eccentric at the bottom of its travel, there is 13mm of clearance between the outer edge of the shell and the outer edge of the outboard bottom bracket's *cups*, meaning there is more space yet to the edge of the BB threads.

It is possible the motor might fit (assuming it cleared the eccentric grub screw bosses on the BB), but it seems unlikely the EBB could be turned through its entire range of motion to retension the chain due to the 12mm limit. Of course, a chain tensioner could be fitted, but it would have to be secured by the rear axle nut or q/r or be of the type that fastens to the chainstay. Neither is ideal compared to the usual EBB on Thorn frames, which are not equipped with Rohloff OEM sliding dropouts.

I think it is safest to say these mid-motors will work *best* with conventional, non-eccentric bottom brackets and Thorns sporting the same, so only Sherpas and Club Tours in Thorn's current range.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information, Dan. You've answered your own question further back in the thread. Pity, but time and space are immutable to the wishes of mere cyclists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version