Author Topic: Which Mudguards for Thorn Nomad MKII and 2.15 Tyres  (Read 3846 times)

nztony

Which Mudguards for Thorn Nomad MKII and 2.15 Tyres
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:39 am »
Mudguards for Thorn Nomad MKII and 2.15 Tyres

I've never been a mudguard person, but I thought I should give them a try and see what I have been missing out on, as I know I am in a very small minority.

Looking at Chain Reaction Cycles, are these what I should be getting: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/en/sks-chromoplastic-mudguards/rp-prod25793
in this size: 65 mm, 26 x 2.10 - 2.35.

I ride with Marathon Mondials 2.15, although I may try something a bit quicker for my day rides, i.e. Marathon Supremes 2.0.

I will get them locally from my LBS if I can and get them to fit them. I would like to support my LBS if I can, and only buy from Wiggle and Chain Reaction if my LBS can't get the parts I am after.

Many thanks
Tony
NZ

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:34:01 pm by nztony »

mickeg

Re: Which Mudguards for Thorn Nomad MKII and 2.15 Tyres
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:59 pm »
I put a spacer in between my fork crown and fender of about 8mm, the bridge on seatstays about 8mm, the bridge on the chainstays about 12mm.  Alternatively you could use slightly longer bolts and two nuts (and washers) between the fender and frame.  If you do not plan on some form of a spacer you will have a lot of gap between the tire and frame.  I am running 2.25 width tires.

When I switch to smaller tires, I just leave my fenders in the same position, I do not let the gap bother me.

My fenders are a different brand, now discontinued.

You can see one of the spacers in the photo.

ajbenie

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »
I'm using the 55 mm version (fitted by thorn) with mondials or ice spiker pro in the 2.1 size. I think that if you're planning to use smaller tyres i wouldn't go for the 65 as the clearance would be excessive.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:19 am »
I have the Chromoplastic mudguards available from SJS. On Raven Tours, not Nomads. Both bikes are currently running 2.0 Marathon Supremes.

On 1 bike, I have the 55 mm version, as delivered by Thorn. On the other I have the 65 mm version from my LBS.

I prefer the 65 mm as there is more mud clearance and more room if I want to fit studded tyres or (slightly) wider tyres later.

The 65 mm version I have features a cut-out near the bottom bracket to allow chain clearance for a derailleur bike. This could allow more mud onto the transmission, but as I have fitted Chaingliders it doesn't bother me. I don't know if all versions of the 65 mm Chromoplastic mudguards have this cut-out, but it would be a factor to consider if running a bare chain. Or maybe use another brand.

Brakes may be another thing to consider, but you can generally use spacers to move the mudguards down a bit to increase clearance between mudguard and brake noodle.

nztony

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:36 am »
Mickeg, ajbeine, martinf, many thanks for your replies and advice.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
Brakes may be another thing to consider, but you can generally use spacers to move the mudguards down a bit to increase clearance between mudguard and brake noodle.

Good call.  Even though I use a spacer, the front V brake still rubs on my fender.  I am using cantilever on back, no problem back there.