Author Topic: sram new gear  (Read 3975 times)

jags

sram new gear
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:23 pm »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:26:04 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: sram new gear
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:26 am »
what do you  guys reckon on this new gear from sram
I've been following testing and development of this for some time. It is interesting how some of the same reviewers and pundits who declared the Rohloff had "too few" gears (14) now think 1x11 is terrific!

Not all 11 cogs are usable with the 2x11, due to chainline issues.

I believe I'd want a chain keeper to make sure the chain stayed in place at the extreme combinations with the 1x11.

Best,

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:34:27 am »
Do you remember years ago when motor cars needed almost constant attention by their owners or garages to keep them running and now we just (mainly) buy them, get in them, and drive them ?
The Cycle industry seems to glory in bringing out "new" things that still need maintenance.  It's OK for those who like tinkering but to get more people onto this amazing transportation device the industry needs to start making maintenance (almost) free bicycles that you just buy them, get on them and ride 'em.
Winge over - Happy Easter !

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 11:22:43 am »
to be honest i love it no more tricking about with sensitive front mechs especially triple,this system looks trouble free ,well probably not but fantastic range of gears to get a fella out of bother climbing those feckin hills and it will make for a light rear wheel  happy days.
if it passes the test with those crazy mountain bikes  then it will stand up to the riggers of loaded touring.

anto

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
Anto

Having had some issues of chainsuck on my ATB I am thinking a 1x11 drivetrain might be good for that bike sometime in the future when the current drivetrain wears out.

It looks as though the previous answers to this post are inferring some sort of Rohloff versus Derailleur comparison which is unfortunate.  I think a 1x11 might well do for you and light touring.  According to Sheldon Brown's calculator, a 36 tooth chainring with the 10-42 cassette will give a range of 24.0 to 100.8 inches for a nominal 28 inch tyre. You could of course go down to a smaller chainring for a lower range.

I've been following testing and development of this for some time. It is interesting how some of the same reviewers and pundits who declared the Rohloff had "too few" gears (14) now think 1x11 is terrific!

I don't see it as a question of how many gears are too many or too few, it's down to how many you can squeeze into a can, or squeeze onto a cassette.

Not all 11 cogs are usable with the 2x11, due to chainline issues.

Not all 9 cogs are usable with the 3x9, due to chainline issues.

I believe I'd want a chain keeper to make sure the chain stayed in place at the extreme combinations with the 1x11.

Would that be similar to one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-chain-guide-cc-8290-prod11874/ for the Rohloff?

Jim .... who likes Rohloffs AND Derailleurs, it's not about one or t'other

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »
Do you remember years ago when motor cars needed almost constant attention by their owners or garages to keep them running and now we just (mainly) buy them, get in them, and drive them ?
The Cycle industry seems to glory in bringing out "new" things that still need maintenance.  It's OK for those who like tinkering but to get more people onto this amazing transportation device the industry needs to start making maintenance (almost) free bicycles that you just buy them, get on them and ride 'em.
Winge over - Happy Easter !

There were "maintenance (almost) free" bicycles years ago, I have cycled happily on a bike with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub gear, and also owned a 5-speed derailleur bike with no front mech. and had a great time on that too!

The advent of a 1x11 with a wide range of gears which does away with a front mech is a very significant step in reducing maintenance, OK not almost maintenance free but it's a step in the right direction.

Happy Easter to you as well   ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:23:23 pm by Relayer »

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:08 pm »
sram gear is usually very expensive so i doubt this kid will be using it.
but sure would love to try it out.the reason i dont like rohloff if it breakes your in big trouble besides it heavy ok i know it works well but i reckon that sram  set up would be every bit as good.

happy easter lads.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:34:55 pm »
Rohloff systems offer 526 percent. 

I recently commented on another thread that I am quite happy with an 8 speed cassette (Sram 11/32) for a derailleur system.  With my road triple with an aftermarket 24 tooth granny gear (52/42/24) I have a 630 percent range of gearing, which is so wide it provides even a couple gears that only get used for strong tailwinds or for long shallow downhills.  On each chainring I do not use the two gears that are the most cross-chained, in other words I only use 6 rear cogs with each chainring.  Thus, my chainline stays in a reasonable range, although that means I settle for 18 gears instead of all 24.  Several of the 6 gears that I do not use are redundant anyway, so, no real loss.

For touring, 420 percent could work for some but I like a wider range myself.  Some of the people that really like Rohloffs like them because there is only one shifter.  Thus, it is very simple to figure out how to upshift or downshift and they can easily find all gears without any confusion.  The 1X11 system would offer this same benefit - which I am sure is another selling point.

I think some have been using single chainring bikes for cyclocross.  I would not be surprised if the 1X11 system gets used a lot in cyclocross.

Instead of a chain keeper, a bash guard both inside and outside of the chain would work and keep some peoples pants cleaner.  This would use long chain ring bolts and spacers for third position on a double crank.  My Airnimal Joey foldup bike came with two bashguards attached this way.