Author Topic: Yikes! Whole lotta shakin' goin' on in Danneauxville  (Read 7676 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Yikes! Whole lotta shakin' goin' on in Danneauxville
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:33 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Very revealing and practical.
Me?
Family first but then I go the sentimental way.
Family pictures etc.
Practical items third, I know that's crazy.
Food, clothing, survival gear.

There are earthquakes in Scotland and other parts of UK but very few and far between.
Rarely mentioned on the news and then it is along the lines of, " first one of this magnitude in 30 years".

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 07:30:29 pm »
Family first but then I go the sentimental way.
Family pictures etc.
Practical items third, I know that's crazy.
Not crazy at all, Matt; just speaks to a good heart.

All the best,

Dan. (...who won't have any photos to remember :'( ...but will still eat  :D )

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 08:39:20 pm »
During my trip last May and June from Astoria OR to San Fransisco CA along the Pacific Coast I saw where some homes had been built on land that ... ... well it was not land any more.  It is a bit hard to see in the photo, but there are parts of buildings along the shore.  This photo is looking south.

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »
And this photo is from the other side looking north.  You can see some pavement with some steel cables close to the camera on the left.  Not sure if that was part of a building or a driveway or what.  Further from the camera you can see a fence, presumably along a property line.  And a realtor sign along the road where someone is trying to sell the tiny little bit of their lot that has not slide into the ocean yet.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »
During my trip last May and June from Astoria OR to San Fransisco CA along the Pacific Coast I saw where some homes had been built on land that ... ... well it was not land any more.
<nods> Yes, Mickeg, bit by bit it is all going into the sea. There is a *lot* of erosion along the coastline, aggravated by winter storms and winds that carve away at the banks. Far better to be back just a ways...oceanfront property will come to you!

Lovely photos, by the way.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:10:31 pm by Danneaux »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »
Egads! This apocalyptic thread has elicited the strongest response in yonks!

Dan ( and all), my sage (and professional) advice is - don't worry, but be prepared. Disasters ( any of several potential) can strike at any time, to any of us. Assess the risk to you and yours, of whatever it is that threatens you. Here in my area, it's the (admittedly low) potential for tsunami if the Shakey Isles (aka New Zealand) happen to start to shake, rattle and roll. Having said that, Newcastle in 1989 experienced one of Australia's very few deadly earthquakes (7 souls).

Dan's beloved Pacific Northwest is considerably higher risk. Earthquake, tsunami and super-volcanoes - oi vey!
But... It's a lovely spot, so why worry? Just pack a bag with your three things (Dan, I think the phone and laptop may be completely surplus to requirements if he big one hits  ???), and IMPLEMENT YOUR PLAN. The key is the PLAN. That's what gets drummed into us every bushfire season.

I'm also mindful of what an old surveyor told me in Wyoming when discussions of the apocalypse came up. He'd say "The Mormons collect grain, sugar and other supplies against the day the apocalypse arrives. Me? I collect guns. When the day comes, I'll know where to get the supplies!"  ;D (I think this was only partly in jest  ;).)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »
Dan ( and all), my sage (and professional) advice is - don't worry, but be prepared.
Exactly!

Really, I don't worry about it much. A more immediate concern is making it safely through a couple busy intersections when I want to cycle north of my home!

I spent a year living in northern Mississippi 24 years ago. I remember lightning storms that broke my bathroom window and split a tree as I walked past, and the tornado reports on television with little graphics showing which direction they were headed and how far till they found cities. I figured then you can't wait for things to happen. You make your little kit in readiness and keep it fresh, you know what to watch for and do, and then you enjoy life!

Pretty much what I do when touring solo -- I prepare carefully, then use common sense for enjoyment. ;)

All the best,

Dan. (...who remembers Jimmy Buffet wrote "Come Monday" *before* he wrote the "Volcano" song...  :D )

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 07:51:26 pm »
Preparedness, brains in the event, and...

...good luck, Dan!

leftpoole

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »
Listen to Rolling Stones!  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:39 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

...Or Elvis: "All Shook Up".

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:06 am »
While it looks like the Big One is overdue...
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2015/01/26/oregon-overdue-for-earthquake-315-years-after-last-90-event/22366463/
...Not everyone is concerned about it and some are willing to play the odds by putting Real Money on a low probability of occurrence. Case in point: The state's agriculture and engineering university has chosen to deliberately site a UD$50 million Marine Studies Center in a known tsunami zone. It will house as many as 525 students and faculty, and evacuation warning time to tsunami is estimated at ~15-30 minutes:
http://www.lincolncountydispatch.com/index.php/news/item/3990-newport-says-osu-cleared-to-build-hmsc-expansion-in-south-beach-tsunami-zone/3990-newport-says-osu-cleared-to-build-hmsc-expansion-in-south-beach-tsunami-zone
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/12/state_geologist_warns_against.html
http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/dec/26/osu-urged-not-to-put-building-in-tsunami-zone/

Best,

Dan. (...who is putting his money on a tent and a Thorn bicycle, if given the choice)