Author Topic: How to overtake cyclists  (Read 2225 times)

dick220369

Re: How to overtake cyclists
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:05 am »
Good video but I very much doubt that it will make any difference. The types of drivers that overtake cyclist without leaving enough space are purely inconsiderate, selfish, and impatient. It's in their nature and no amount of re-education is going to change that. On my daily commute back and forth to work, I am regularly put at risk by drivers overtaking too closely. I have been clipped by wing mirrors and forced off the road on numerous occasions. It wouldn't be so bad if the drivers made an attempt to reduce their speed when overtaking me but they seem to have this aversion to using the brake. You just have to take a look at the videos on YouTube to see how prevalent this type of overtaking behaviour is. Also, it regularly happens that the cyclist is physically abused as a result. If this ever happens to me, the driver is in for a big shock because I hit back. I don't condone violence but I will uphold my right to defend myself which I am very capable of doing.

I also think that the UK should adopt the same approach as most of their EU neighbours and make the driver automatically at fault, unless they can prove otherwise, if they are involved in a collision with a cyclist. There are some statistics out there that indicate the driver has been at fault 75% of the time when the police have investigated a road traffic accident involving a cyclist and a car. I don’t understand why a vulnerable road user’s safety/life isn’t worth a couple of minutes of the driver's time. This is, in most occasions, all that they will lose whilst waiting for an appropriate time to overtake safely.

It is also ridiculous how lenient the law is with regards to punishing drivers when they have been ruled as being at fault and their actions have either seriously injured or killed a vulnerable road user. It’s about time the law was dishing out prison sentences instead of a slap on the wrist.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:28:27 am by dick220369 »

bikerwaser

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »
I agree with every point you made Dick.

I think they should put a shortened video on TV to ingrain it into every persons mind.

When cycling in Spain I have had total respect on the road. They have the "presumed liability" law you talk about and also they have adverts on TV reminding drivers to give 1.5 metres space when passing. Bizarrely enough I felt safe on Spanish roads than on French roads, which is saying a lot compared to here in the UK.

I'm impressed with Chris Boardman and i'm so glad he is British Cycling's policy advisor. He's such a good ambassador for all things cycling.

I get frustrated, angry and sometimes hopeless about the rate of change in this country with it's view towards cyclist. I hope that things will change soon. If not I will move to a different country where cyclists are respected instead of treated like gutter scum. 

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »
it will neve happen lads sorry to say, once people get behind the wheel of a car they turn into monsters especially if theres a cyclist in there line. :o

these days i always have lights on my bikes, on the tandem i use 2 rear and my powerfull cateye headlight in blinky mode.i give them no excuse why they cant see me from a distance.

stay safe lads.

anto

dick220369

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:57:20 pm »
I now always "take the lane" when out on the bike. I know it upsets a lot of drivers but my safety is paramount. If I can do anything to stop drivers trying to overtake me recklessly then I will do it. From experience, if you leave just enough room for a driver to squeeze past you, even when there is oncoming traffic, most drivers are going to try and do it.

once people get behind the wheel of a car they turn into monsters especially if theres a cyclist in there line

Very true. It's like "Jekyll and Hide" syndrome.

When cycling in Spain I have had total respect on the road.

Also very true. I have cycled in Spain many times and drivers always give me a wide berth when overtaking. That is, of course, unless they are a "British" tourist in a hire car.

It also amazes me how many times a driver will use the excuse "I didn't see them". I, personally, think this translates literally into "I didn't look or I just wasn't paying attention".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:00:54 am by dick220369 »