Author Topic: Best Chain for Rohloff?  (Read 21235 times)

steve216c

Re: Best Chain for Rohloff?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 09:26:32 am »
Thanks for this, Steve.  I see that starbike sells both the 808 & 708, so that's helpful for future orders.

Never heard of the A99, I must confess.  At €100 a pop though, I can only imagine that it comes wrapped in cachet.  ;)

Cheers,  John

Sorry, I crossed my photography hobby with biking hobby to invent new chain. The correct chain was the Rohloff SLT 99 muddled in my mind by my similarly named camera -Sony SLT A99. ;)
Both great in their own environments, but neither a replacement for the other. As long as I remember NOT to grease my lenses or to put filters on my chains then the world will still be in order.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:31:19 pm by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

UKTony

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 11:24:57 am »
In a similar vein I was once told not to combine geology with rock climbing.

John Saxby

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 03:37:27 pm »
Part of my brain thought that the A99 was a twisty highway in Foggie Olde beloved by motorcyclists.

julk

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:37 pm »
How many miles has your Rohloff chain done, Julian?

Andre,
Not enough, sadly I have not done much touring for some years now, although the mind would like to.
Bought 2010ish, but not used until later - probably about 5k to date, hardly run in yet.
I have a slightly longer used one in storage which was used with a 43x21 setup, might leave that one to a child in due course.
The ChainGlider stopped me using that particular combination.
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:30 am »
How many miles has your Rohloff chain done, Julian?
Bought 2010ish, but not used until later - probably about 5k to date, hardly run in yet.
I have a slightly longer used one in storage which was used with a 43x21 setup, might leave that one to a child in due course.
The ChainGlider stopped me using that particular combination.

I'm such a masher with such a depressing chain history until about a dozen years ago when I determined to take a serious run at the subject, that when I first approached 5k on a chain, I opened champagne...

PH

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 08:48:24 am »
Some relevant links for those interested in Rohloff's chain production and the reasons why they no longer produce some of their older product line of chains:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rohloff-cease-production-of-eight-and-nine-speed-chains/
https://www.rohloff.de/en/company/rohloff-ag
https://www.rohloff.de/en/company/rohloff-ag/s-l-t-99

Basically, the original "Green Monster" chain-making machine needed an overhaul of its bespoke parts and Rohloff used this downtime as an opportunity to reassess the market and decided not top pursue the market for ever-narrower derailleur chains out of concerns about durability.

Best,

Dan.
Thanks for those Dan, I'd seen the stuff on the Rohloff website but not the Bikeradar article.  I note Rohloff were saying they're repurposing their chain machine to produce single speed chains, to be launched in 2011.  What happened to that?  Did it ever get produced (Might this be the chain julk has? Though the dates don't match) or was the plan shelved?  Or was it a short lived product?  Or were they maybe produced for another brand? 
It's just curiosity, there's plenty of choice.  Still seems a little odd to me that a renowned chain maker isn't producing the best chain for their other product.  Maybe it's an indication that the chain in a simple system doesn't need to be that special.