Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Pitlock skewers

(1/2) > >>

geocycle:
Does anyone use these?  They look like a simple way of increasing security.  Are they easy to fit?  Do they work OK with the Rohloff?  Any views appreciated.

pdamm:
I have one in the Rohloff of my Raven Tour and one in the front wheel with a SON hub.  They work well for me giving me piece of mind when I leave the bike locked up.  I only need to use one locking device to protect the whole bike.  I carry the pitlock "socket" + a small shifting spanner to undo it.  The spanner comes in handy to tighten a few other things on the bike if they come loose.  It and the tools only add a small amount of weight to the bike, trivial really when you consider the weight of the bike + rider + any gear I am carrying.  It probably takes an additional 30 seconds to change a flat compared to a quick release skewer.  I'd definitely get a pair if I bought the bike again.

PH:
If you get them, keep well greased and undo them frequently, I’ve had them seize, it’s no fun trying to fix a puncture with the wheel in place.  The first time it hadn’t been undone for a few months, I had to cut a slot in the dome end with an angle grinder to stop it turning, they’re certainly secure!  It happened again a couple of months later, that time I managed to hold the dome with a pair of mole grips. Pitlock did replace it and their website now tells you to grease well before use, something it didn’t before.  
I don’t know where you’ve seen them, you can buy direct
http://www.pitlock.de/en/sortiment/index.html
My experiences have put me off, I now use Trax security skewers, not as secure as the Pitlocks, hopefully enough to deter the opportunist thief and half the price.  I’ve only ever seen them on Ebay

kwkirby01:
I had a set fitted to my Thorn at purchase time. It can be a bit fiddly to get the nuts on and off, and to get them tight enough.

That said, they do seem very secure and are a good investment if you leave your bike in public places.

Kevin

geocycle:
Thanks guys, I decided to give pitlocks a go.  I fitted them last night using plenty of grease!  I was a bit suprised at how much of the bolt poked through the nut so I put some extra bolts on to protect the threads -is this normal?  

I was disappointed to find quite a lot of rust (and not much grease) on the shimano deore QR skewer from the front wheel in just 5 months use -this was the first time I had fully removed the skewer.  The big stainless steel QR through the Rohloff was fine.

Going to a black tie dinner tonight so will be rolling up on the raven in my tux confident that the wheels will still be in place when I come out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version