Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

RST sizing

(1/1)

orange:
Would like to purchase an rst but.Would like to have dropped bars on it but if this didn't feel right would like to go back to straight bars.How do I go about with the sizing so I can take this option.I think Fredered mentioned this when he spoke about his purchase on the forum some time ago did this but had to change frames to go from straight bars back to drops.Plus anyone thought of a titanium rst (would help with the weight issue).PS if you are the guy on a green rst that I keep seeing in Sutton Coldfield give us an email cheers.

stutho:
Hi Orange – welcome to the list.

You probable already know - drop bars require a shorter top tube, to allow for the depth of the drops.  

If you were to specify a bike with a short top tube and then decide to go with a flat bar you are going to need a very long stem. Not sure of availability, the aesthetics might look strange too.

If you start with the long top tube and then switch to drops, like Fredered, then you will probably find that although you can uses an extra small stem you will NOT be able to mount the shifter on an accessory bar.  That would leave mounting the shifter either on the bar end with a hubbub or using the Thorn split h'bar.

SJSC / Thorn really mean what they say with there 100day return policy.  Don't be afraid to try out the option YOU want and then change you mind within the 100 days.

Peoples opinion of drop bars on a Raven are very polarised – Most have got a flat bar and wouldn’t even consider a drop, due to the problems with the shifter.   Yet those that use a drop bar would claim that in practice there is very little hassle using the shifter with drops and the positives of using drops far outweigh the negatives.

Good luck whatever you decide

Ps for the record I use a drop bar – and I am very happy with it.

freddered:
Orange.  Remember that the shifter mounted on the accessory bar is more convenient than MOST other drop bar options.  I went for a ride with CTC and found that most of them used either Bar-End shifters or traditional down-tube shifters.

I spent 20 years on Down Tube shifters and I'll tell you that Rohloff shifter mounted on accessory bar is much better (than TWO levers on opposite sides of the down tube).  I never tried bar-end shifters but to me they appear more hassle than Rohloff shifter on accessory bar (2 levers mounted further away again).

To balance things out, let me add that, if there was an STI Brake Lever that worked with Rohloff, I would buy it as I ride on the hoods a lot.

Arnaud:
Hello from Down Under,

Here we go again...
I really would like a split drop handlebar for my RST. Found a company in Germany who makes one, 138 Euros is not cheap but OK but on top of that 134 Euros air freight and duty !!!
Anyone knows where I could source something similar but at a reasonable price ?

Talking about handlebars...
On my racing bike I like riding on the hoods and the flat section but I absolutely hate riding in the drops, even when descending at high speed.
So, I'm asking myself if there are better options like H-bar or Bull horn bars.
Now that I am into more advanced/intensive riding, the Thorn Comfort bar is not satisfactory any more.

I could do with some advice on the subject.

Thanks

Arnaud

pdamm:
Arnaud

My choice was a set of these

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Modolo-Modolo-Yuma-Traveller-Multi-Position-Hybrid-Bars--Silver-15572.htm

They need a longer stem than drops for an equivalent fit.  They have a number of different hand positions.  In a strong headwind I will rest my elbows and fore arms on them and drop into an "areo" position - much like the drops on drop bars, only I can get down a bit lower.

I am happy with my choice.  Good luck with yours.

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version