Author Topic: Are mudguards necessary on a dry weather trip ?  (Read 7448 times)

peterfs

Re: Are mudguards necessary on a dry weather trip ?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 10:59:13 pm »
Thanks for all the input, this is such a helpful and friendly community ! I haven't settled on how to pack the bike yet, I'm first going to try a LBS for a cardboard packing box and see how this measures up. The alternative will be to try a big poly bag of the CTC type thats been mentioned. I'm inclining to take along the mudguards and I have the winter months to mess around with different ways of packing- I think foam pipe lagging and Duck Tape are going to be involved as well.
Thanks for the suggestions about places to visit John. I'd like to cycle in the North, from Rhumpi, across the Nyika Plateau, down to the lake and along the shore heading south. i'm a bit apprehensive about some of the steep hills but my philosophy is if its too hard to cycle then get off, push and enjoy the scenery.
Its fun planning the trip, I'll post on progress.

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 02:29:22 am »
Enjoy, Peter!  Safe riding, and we'll look forward to your e-stories & fotos.

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:21 am »
They should be BANNED imho., ::)

trying to get them to line up is next to impossible they seem to have a mind of ther own,, one minute you get the perfectly straight next thing there all to one sidewhich cracks me up,and no i aint doing anything wrong i hate mudguards  end of story.
having said that there great for keeping  you dry and clean  ;D ;D

jags

Anto,
My frame and mudguards! I should have left them attached... Anyhow, take off the wheels, tighten the under brake bolt/screw so tight that you think that it's too tight! refit wheels, gently straighten mudguards.
Then go for a bumpy ride in the rain!
Enjoy.
John

jags

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:34 am »
Done all that John  :'(
to be honest its not bad but its not perfect there a twist  in the mudguard right at tailight.
im thinking having the mudguards to close to tyres is asking for trouble ,i know they look far better than a hugh gap .
ah sure not to worry as long as they dont fall off. ;)

anto.

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »
Done all that John  :'(
to be honest its not bad but its not perfect there a twist  in the mudguard right at tailight.
im thinking having the mudguards to close to tyres is asking for trouble ,i know they look far better than a hugh gap .
ah sure not to worry as long as they dont fall off. ;)

anto.

OK now loosen the stays at the top and adjust, then loosen both bottom ones. Hold the mudguard each side between your fingers and tighten lower stays.
Hartd to explain, but obviously those mudguards were spot on when I fitted them..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jags

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »
they will have to do i'm not adjusting them again mindof there own  ;D ;D
ah there not too bad .

jags.