Author Topic: Wiring up a new B&M Toplight to an older Son Edelux  (Read 5583 times)

CWM

Wiring up a new B&M Toplight to an older Son Edelux
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:42:22 pm »
So my shiny new B&M Toplight Line brake plus rear brake light has arrived. Now I want to wire it up to the front light which is an older son edelux (which I acquired second hand so not sure how old). The edelux has a single port for a connector to push on to (which is tucked away underneath where the wire runs from the  light to the dyno hub). But the rear light has t wo connectors.  how do I make the two go into one? Or am I missing something?  I also have a B&M front light on another bike which I see has a tail with twin wires sticking out, which would obviously connect with the the rear light, so I get the general idea, but not the specifics of how to connect to the edelux.

Any hints welcome

Clive

AndyE

Re: Wiring up a new B&M Toplight to an older Son Edelux
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:42 pm »
There is a 1mm or a 1.5 mm hex bold under the sliding switch on my Edelux Light, this  will need some disassembly's me thinks. I dont know if this is the same patten as yours, but I understand the rear light needs only a live connection from the front light using a negative earth to complete the circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRqIuYkTNY this may help too.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:14:01 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »
Here is a photo of my set-up. I can probe a little deeper if yours is like this and you need more clues:

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »

Clive
you need a two core cable connected to the tail light.

At the edelux end you connect one wire to the recessed live spade terminal underneath.

Connect the other one with a a ring terminal to the lamp pivot bolt, or like Jim has done to the lamp bracket bolt. 

The earth returns to the hub via the lamps wiring.  It doesn't matter which way round the tail lamp terminals are connected.

Thorn sell just the right wire with the ends made up  http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-coaxial-cable-for-tail-light-190-cm-long-plugs-fitted-black-prod15905/

Lots of lighting info here too http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/taillights.asp

Easy done
Ian

AndyE

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:59:05 pm »
Just figged it out, looking at jimK's light and that of my own, the rear hole on the edelux has recessed blade with witch to connect the rear light too Posative. I did wonder what the slim 18th inch connector I got with all the B&M bits and bobs in the jiffy back from SJS with my new Sherpa was for. So it's plug and play for the rear light connecting just the live from the front light with the 18th inch connector with a negative earth. On Jimk's light the negative is the ring connector from the crown boss. Hope I have not stolen your researcher and thunder Jim  :-[ no disassembly needed! good old German engineering.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:08:25 pm by AndyE »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:46 pm »
great Andy! yeah it is easy once you know how and have all the specific right bits and pieces at hand!

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
It would help if B&M would produce a better diagram of the connections  and parts supplied!

Andy

CWM

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:07 pm »
Thank you one and all.  Much appreciated.  I understand now. Photo very helpful Jim, thank you. Haven't actually got it sorted yet as I've spent the day on a bike (and then took my wee girl to see the Christmas lights being switched on, an event attended by real reindeer) but will acquire the little earthing thingy and get it wired up shortly.

Knew I could rely on the thorn forum crowd for a clear explanation

Clive

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:09:42 pm »
One thing that I liked about the Supernova lights - they supplied you with all the parts (wiring, cable joiners, heatshrink) and detailed instructions to wire up the lights. Also there was none of this "negative earth" business - dual-core co-axial cable with very secure, one-use, crimped joiners. Supernova don't use plug-in terminals - the wiring to the lights is permanent once done. When the whole light set was wired up it was so secure, and I had wired it in such a way, that later I was able to cut a few cable-ties and remove the whole light set in one piece to transfer it to another bike; no wiring work needed.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:12:25 pm by il padrone »

leftpoole

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:37 am »
Clive,
Why did you simply just ask me? Duh!
John

CWM

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »
John

There is no doubt you are the master of discreet dynamo wiring, but I wonder if your wiring arrangements are so subtle that a photo of your set up would have revealed nothing useful at all  ;)

(No disrespect intended to Jim's set up which is neat but clear)

Clive

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:31:35 am »
John

There is no doubt you are the master of discreet dynamo wiring, but I wonder if your wiring arrangements are so subtle that a photo of your set up would have revealed nothing useful at all  ;)

(No disrespect intended to Jim's set up which is neat but clear)

Clive

Clive,
I think that your comment is really so brilliant that it cannot justify words! Wonderful. Patronising. Shamefully sucking up...
Great stuff.
The wiring is neat on my bikes I grant you, but anyone can do it provided they have my careful patient way with bicycles!
Thanks,
John

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 11:26:38 pm »

I agree, John is the boss of "discreet dynamo wiring" (whatever that may be), but, you know, Anto has a point. There is something that photos of the end product don't show, but that VIDEO does: process. And that's what a lot of bicycle jobs are about: PROCESS.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:45 pm »
careful patient way

I fear it may be too late for me! Mine is much more the furious hacker way. It gets things done, but they are rarely pretty!