Author Topic: Ortlieb Klickfix and T-bar fitting.  (Read 2882 times)

Matt2matt2002

Ortlieb Klickfix and T-bar fitting.
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
The Klickfix fitting for my barbag causes my brakes cables to rub against the bag.
I am thinking of buying the Thorn accessory bar 45 degree angle.
172.5mm code 28574.
This should lift the bag forward of the cables and free up handle bar space for a Gopro clamp etc.

I am using a small Thorn T bar, 55mm code 11041and thought I would see if the Klickfit fitting fitted it.
The accessory bar diameter is smaller than the handle bar so I think I will have trouble fitting the Klickfit to the new 45 degree bar?

Is there a secure way of padding out the T bar?
A shim perhaps?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Slammin Sammy

Re: Ortlieb Klickfix and T-bar fitting.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:13 pm »
Hi Matt,

I take it you have the Rixen & Kaul KlickFix option on your Ortleib bag? I have only ever used the Ortleib mount, which is cable-based and will fit a range of bar diameters.

R&K make a range of adapters for different size bars. See: http://www.klickfix.de/index.php?lang=en
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:49:48 pm by Slammin Sammy »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:31:02 pm »
Thanks Sammy.
Someone sent me the link for the catalogue.
I spent ages looking through it. Nothing allows the normal fitting to shrink down for the thinner diameter of the Thorn accessory bar.
I then thought that it would not be practical to put up to 7  Kg stress onto a thin bar.
(7 Kg is what the Klickfit fittings are rated too)

So to free up bar space i have ordered from SJS the Multi-clip that sits inside the Klickfit barbag holder.
This should let me place a light and speedo there and leave my T bar free for a GoPro fitting.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »
One way to fit something onto a smaller-diameter bar is to cut a strip of old inner tube rubber and wrap it around the bar. I have done this to fit headlights onto handebars, when the headlight clamp wouldn't tighten enough and the headlight tended to rotate down on the bar. I cut the rubber strip a bit wider than the headlight clamp, and just a bit shorter than the circumference of the handlebar. You can also cut it longer and wrap it around the bar a couple of times.

Matt, I have the regular Thorn accessory bars (items 11041 and 33509). I believe they both have a 22.2mm (7/8") diameter bar, which is a standard handlebar diameter. It is odd that the longer 45 degree bar that you have (item 28574)  has a different diameter bar. Are you sure?

I have the Rixen & Kaul KlickFix mount for my Ortlieb handlebar bag, and it fits perfectly on the Thorn accessory bar that I have.

- Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:50:53 pm by davidjsimpson »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »
Matt,

Very hurried here, so must make this short...

Thorn now offer a 25.4mm/1in Accessory T-bar, shown at SJSC here:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-mk2-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-254-mm-0-deg-prod33509/?geoc=us

Another option for you to consider?

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:57:32 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:38:11 am »
Thanks Dan.
I see the diameter on that one is 25.4
I have the shorter accessory bar and it is 22.2.
I had thought both would be the same, but you are correct of course.

I'll see how I get on with the Klickfit part I have ordered and then consider the one you pointed out.
I had almos decided to buy it. But as I said, I thought that being thinner, the Klickfit would not fit comfortably onto it.

I appreciate the idea of padding it out with rubber tube etc. Thanks for that tip.

Matt