Author Topic: Humpert bars  (Read 8500 times)

Pavel

Humpert bars
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
The Humpert AHS Premium Adjustable Handlebar. 
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs-premium-adjustable-handlebars-600-mm-wide-254-mm-clamp-prod24407/
SJS sells these but I wonder if anyone has used them and can comment on how they are?  I'm interested in trying them out but one issue I want to double check about is that the Rohloff shifters fit, so I hope someone here has some direct experience.  Thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Humpert bars
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:10:26 pm »
Pavel,

I'm afraid I can't add anything wrt the Humpert 'bars, but can comment they are the most innovative, flexibly configurable handlebars I've seen. I can see the hinge in the middle, but what really blows me away is the adjustable width via the internal quill for each side. For those who can't get a good fit or for experimenters, they should really do the job.

Thinking about your Moulton TSR30 (different thread, but similar fit issues), have you considered the Moulton Mosquito handlebars for it? See: http://www.jimlangley.net/ride/amvisit.html A bit like the Humperts in goal, but a completely different approach. They do allow swinging through an arc to simultaneously gain/lose reach and height. I believe they may only be available in a quill design and a single narrow width, but that may have changed since they were first introduced.

If you find yourself unable to get just the fit you want on either the Moulton or the Thorn, don't forget it is possible to also fit a quill stem to the threadless steerer, a la Sheldon Brown's approach: http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html (using a seatpost clamp to retain the threadless steerer)...and ... http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn/ (showing the quill stem inserted into the threadless steerer allowing for a second (!) set of handlebars).

I recently did something like this on the bike of a friend who is recovering from back surgery and needed to sit bolt upright. I inserted a short quill stem -- reversed with the reach going rearward -- into the threadless steerer to support just one set of straight handlebars. The result was enough height for a full-on Dutch-style "sit up and beg" position. Of course, we needed to change the saddle as well to accommodate the new position, but it can all be fully restored after he heals.

Hope this helps...

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:53:06 pm »
Pavel,
I have tried very similar Humpert bars,  just with no hinges to change the sweep.
The bar ends are removeable so the central straight parts will take brakes and a Rohloff changer once the grips are removed/cut/replaced.
The bar ends clamp in the bars like a quill stem wedge, the bolt is covered by a plug near the bend - you can see this in the SJS link.

If you like your controls near the middle then these bars will probably suit you.
The width was too narrow for me as the bar end curve keeps grips like Ergon and controls towards the middle, similar to butterfly bars.

Good points - very easy to change the shape, different bar ends are also available.
Bad point - very heavily built.

Humpert used to be about the only option to get a Rohloff shifter on 'straight' bars with a rearward sweep and full bar ends.
Very few bars have a long enough straight end section to accommodate all the controls being fitted in a line.
Even Thorn comfort bars need the right hand grip cut down to about 112 mm.
If I was wanting full bar ends now I would go for the latest integrated Ergon models and put them on straight or riser bars.

Having tried a few options I find the Thorn comfort bars and Ergon GP1 grips all I need.
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »
I haven't tried these particular Humpert bars, but I have different Humpert bars, the Tour in stainless steel, and can say they're well made, quality bars. The particular ones I have offer just a slight angle to the ends, but the grips are long enough to fit Rohloff rotary shifter and a separate brake as long as you buy the 4-finger grip version. Many of the topclass German bikes with Rohloff boxes come with Humpert bars, including optionally the cheaper version of these multifunction bars, so the likelihood is that Humpert bars are Rohloff-capable and/or that the designer has considered the peculiarities of fitting a Rohloff rotary control. Utopia, whom I know (I have one of their bikes), sells the vast majority of their bikes with Rohloff boxes, and they offer the Humpert Hornbar as an option. Interestingly there's a note that the narrower, 52mm version won't go on electric versions of their bikes, presumably because there's not enough space for the controls, but that the 60mm is fine.

I have a Humpert X-Act Swell adjustable stem on my favourite bike (or had until I fitted the n'lock, described elsewhere), and Julian is right, Humpert builds their gear so you can expect to leave it to your grandchildren. The Humpert X-Act  headset A118AC on my bike is a Cane Creek-built copy of their famous S6, built to last forever. Never seen anything flimsy from Humpert.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:27:04 pm »
Pavel,
I have tried very similar Humpert bars,  just with no hinges to change the sweep.
The bar ends are removeable so the central straight parts will take brakes and a Rohloff changer once the grips are removed/cut/replaced.
The bar ends clamp in the bars like a quill stem wedge, the bolt is covered by a plug near the bend - you can see this in the SJS link.

If you like your controls near the middle then these bars will probably suit you.
The width was too narrow for me as the bar end curve keeps grips like Ergon and controls towards the middle, similar to butterfly bars.

Good points - very easy to change the shape, different bar ends are also available.
Bad point - very heavily built.

Humpert used to be about the only option to get a Rohloff shifter on 'straight' bars with a rearward sweep and full bar ends.
Very few bars have a long enough straight end section to accommodate all the controls being fitted in a line.
Even Thorn comfort bars need the right hand grip cut down to about 112 mm.
If I was wanting full bar ends now I would go for the latest integrated Ergon models and put them on straight or riser bars.

Having tried a few options I find the Thorn comfort bars and Ergon GP1 grips all I need.
Julian.
Hi Juian,
I came across this entry just now as I was researching the comfort bars.

I had the Humbert bars on my Raven and an awful time getting the ends off. They had fused together at the curve. I finished up having to cut both ends off to remove the brake on the left and the shifter and brake on the right. I made a real mess of the shifter and finished up letting a bike shop sort things out.
I bought the shifter from SJS and they fitted it to my Mk 2 thorn comfort bars.
I thought the right hand side would be a squeeze and so asked the shop to trim the Ergon down slightly.
I see you recommend that yourself.

I had a short 6 mile spin today having collected the bike yesterday.

I am certainly more upright and like the wider bars.

I had also fitted new front and rear sprockets,chain and Chainglider. So quite a few changes to my Raven.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

energyman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
I have tried the Humpert bars but have reverted to SJS Comfort with Ergon 1 grips.  Main reason was to enable me to get the bike through some recently erected "stop everything but walkers" bars on a local pathway.

julk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:58 pm »
Matt,
It sounds like we are riding a similar setup.
Comfort for me is everything as I want to enjoy it and keep riding.
I hope you enjoy your latest upgrades, please keep giving feedback good or bad.

As I have aged I have moved to,
• wider tyres, at 25-35 psi pressures they ride easier and with some suspension effect.
• wider ‘straight’ bars, at least 600 mm, with some rearward sweep. The rearward sweep relaxes my back and shoulders.
The Humpert bars were a stage in the searching for a more relaxed back and shoulders position.
• sprung B17, ie a Flyer. I find Brooks comfortable, not everyone does.
• shorter stem, also now up at the top of the steerer, good job I never trimmed it. My stance is getting more upright as my back ages.

I no longer worry about,
• speed, I just enjoy the journey.
• headwinds, I cheat on very windy days and ride downwind on my Brompton, getting the bus back (free buspasses are great).
• being passed by young ladies on bicycles, I have learned to cope with this.
• stopping whilst ascending a hill, no guilt/embarrassment now for taking a short rest if needed.

All the best.
Julian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:55:48 am »
I have tried the Humpert bars but have reverted to SJS Comfort with Ergon 1 grips.  Main reason was to enable me to get the bike through some recently erected "stop everything but walkers" bars on a local pathway.

Interesting point.
Surely the comfort bars are wider than the Humpert?

Its just an impression I have, riding my new set up. I had to cut up/ off my Humperts so cannot measure the comparison.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink