Author Topic: Which spare parts to get before riding into Central Asia?  (Read 7406 times)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
Re: Which spare parts to get before riding into Central Asia?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:20:45 pm »
I am carrying the Rohloff cable, but not the brake one. With Shimano Deore XT which model of wire should I buy (and carry)? How often do you have to change them? I have never even though about it!
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 06:24:44 pm »
I change mine at 16,000km rather than wait for them to snap.
But you can get brake cables anywhere, not a problem. Well anywhere that has bicycles :) Iraq was the hardest place I've found to get spares.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:43 pm »
I change mine at 16,000km rather than wait for them to snap.
But you can get brake cables anywhere, not a problem. Well anywhere that has bicycles :) Iraq was the hardest place I've found to get spares.

so it should be ok? haha, maybe just carry one spare (we are 2) just in case they break in the middle of Turkmenistan?

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »
Yeah they could last twice that long or even longer. I just think it's such an easy thing to do when it suits you rather than on the side of the motorway with trucks giving you a haircut :)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 06:35:49 pm »
Yeah they could last twice that long or even longer. I just think it's such an easy thing to do when it suits you rather than on the side of the motorway with trucks giving you a haircut :)

So just the standard shimano brake cable is fine? Because I saw there is different models, standard, mtb...

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 07:30:27 pm »
 Their are more knowledgable people on here than me so best double check with them.
As far as I know you can use anything ? I suppose its the shape of the connector on the brake itself that's important.

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:42:02 pm »
So just the standard shimano brake cable is fine? Because I saw there is different models, standard, mtb...

You need one that fits your levers, thus road and mountain might be different.  Some have both fittings, one on each end.  That works fine if you have a wire cutter when you need it.  I made sure the one I carry is for rear (so it is long enough for either front or rear) and I cut off the fitting I do not need while still at home because I do not carry a wire cutter with me.