Author Topic: Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet/GPS/radio, plus  (Read 5286 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet/GPS/radio, plus
« on: May 12, 2013, 01:50:06 am »
Hi All!

Disclaimer:
First off, my little writeup below is for a product in development that is still very much in early days. It looks promising, but is not yet in production and -- who knows? -- may not ever be. It is "promised" if a crowdfunded effort is successful. Investors' credit cards are charged immediately and if funding goals are not met by deadline, refunds are also "promised". Because no one can predict the future, I have seen such things go very badly; suitable caution and due diligence are advised if you're hot to invest
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Though currently in a crowdfunding campaign (I have no financial interest in it), it looks like the Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet would be just the ticket for many of us, whether casually day-touring or going 'round the world (or the North American part of it, at present; maps for other areas are expected later this year).

See: http://www.meetearl.com/

So...what is it?

Earl is a...

• Battery-sipping e-ink B/W-screened GPS with wireless route sharing, Bluetooth, and Internet connectivity. Unlike some efforts, this is contract-free; you buy it and that's it.

Built-in weather forecasting, including current temperature, humidity and barometric pressure, with wind speed and direction using Earl's built in micro anemometer and compass. Cross-matching this data against GPS location, Earl can tell you when and where the sun, moon and stars will shine the brightest.

Two-way FRS, GMRS and MURS radio transceiver that can connect to analog and digital radio frequencies at a 20-mile range and can also transmit secure text or voice messages, weather, location, and route information to another Earl or to transceivers with matching frequencies.

AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner with live pause and recording scheduling and uses NOAA's SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) for emergency weather alerts in the US and includes a waterproof, magnet-free (piezo?) 1-watt speaker.

Uses available Android apps and supports EPUB, MOBI and PDF e-reader formats.

• Uses a glove-friendly touchscreen with 3D joypad and gyroscope for a gesture control.

Daylight-visible e-Ink screen has internal illumination that allows Earl to function as a lantern.

IP67 rated water/dust/shock/mud-proof.

• Mono-crystalline solar panel provides up to 20 hours of battery (3000mAh) and charges in 5 hours in direct sunlight.

I really hope this won't end up as vaporware, as it is exactly what I and many others have been searching for. It sounds too good to be true for the expected battery life and especially at the suggested crowdsource price point of USD$249, which is 30% off expected retail, also low compared to, say, a Garmin touchscreen GPS. The hazard with crowdfunded projects is they often don't come to fruition, at least not in the expected timeframe. If they do, then those early backers also receive early, pre-production models (often rough prototypes) compared to the later, developed editions. Often, the savings and good feelings of helping a startup aren't quite enough to make up for the loss of functionality and reliability.

I have a bazillion questions about what the final consumer edition will be like if it makes it to production. It would be nice if it could play MP3s, for example. The radio tuner's live pause and scheduled recording imply it might. I wonder what on-board storage it has, and if there is removable storage via micro-SD or similar flash memory. Who provides the maps database? Are there POIs and if so, what kind and how many? Can maps be updated for the life of the product, free of charge (as with Garmin's products after purchase)?

At this point, I consider this early notice of what *might* be coming down the pike in outdoors electronics/technology, and really hope it or something like it comes to fruition. For now, production is expected to start in July with backers' editions shipping in August, according the Earl website. We'll see.

Best,

Dan. (...who is "hopeful")
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:56:49 am by Danneaux »

in4

Re: Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet/GPS/radio, plus
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:54:58 am »
Now that looks a very interesting piece of kit. Broader appeal = lower production costs = feasible price points.
Like the Android SW too. Useful for sailors too perhaps. 

ZeroBike

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
I saw this the other day and my first though was "will it charge via a dynamo hub?" as I have heard that things like iPads have difficulties charging from a standard 5vUSB connection.

It does look very interesting

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:24:08 pm »
"will it charge via a dynamo hub?"
Hi Zero!

I wondered that myself. The FAQ says...
Every Earl comes with a durable USB lanyard that can be used to transfer data and charge Earl when the sun's out of sight.
Okay...but will it charge from a 5vdc @ 0.5A power supply (the USB standard)? If it requires a 1.0A supply, then that would likely put it out of the range of most dyno-chargers. If it hews to the base standard, we're set. I sure hope it will.  I'm really hoping this thing makes it to production with all features intact, fully realized, and working at a reasonable final price.

Best,

Dan. (...who is still "hopeful")

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »
Thanks, Dan, for this -- helpful & informative as always.  I had seen a reference to MeetEarl on crazyguy--appears that this could be a v useful device indeed. (This, from someone who usually resists/scorns More Stuff, esp of the plug-in-the-wall variety.)

Also saw this interesting and related product (from Bright-Bike):  https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=1&thread_id=469588&page=1&nested=0&v=Z

Seeing both of these, I changed my nearly-final list of Raven specs from the SONDelux dynahub to the SON28, anticipating that a year hence I might find myself encumbered (liberated?) with an iPad mini, and/or Earl (met discreetly, of course, so my friends won't mock me), and a Bright-Bike Revolution...

J.

ZeroBike

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:13 pm »
The screen uses e-ink!  Basically its black and white with a low refresh rate.

So watching videos would not be possible.

....... Im out!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:54:24 pm »
The screen uses e-ink!
<nods> Yep. Great for battery life and -- sadly -- no good at all for motion video.

Color e-ink is available, but at present is still awfully close to gray when seen by the human eye. For an early example, see: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/03/16/the-jetbook-color-2-shows-why-color-e-ink-screens-are-a-dead-end/#.UZTUrb1KhyY Take heart; "electrowetting" is coming... http://www.techhive.com/article/194868/color_eink_electrowhetting.html

Video e-ink is on the horizon, but not in production yet. Bookeen ( http://www.bookeen.com/en/ ) is getting closer: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/02/11/bookeen-demo-video-on-e-ink/#.UZTWcr1KhyY

Best,

Dan.

ZeroBike

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »
Yeah it's a shame.

There are two reasons why video would be important to me.

1. I like watching movies so it would be great to take some with me to watch at night in the tent.

2. I can download howto videos from youtube and then use them as a reference when I get stuck or am trying something new.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:09 pm »
Two real good reasons, Zero!

It would be nice if the Earl could function as a cycle-tourist's *only* take-along device, but without being able to function as a cellphone, well, that's a big "miss" for that goal (and it would be too big for easy phone use as well). No...I'm thinking the Earl might best serve as a supplemental "amalgamated gadget" perhaps replacing a GPS, weather gadget, radio, walkie-talkie, and e-reader. In other words, not a "do-all", but a "do much" gadget of its own.

If the built-in solar cell/battery could serve as a way to also (re)charge a smartphone or cellphone several times and serve as a booster battery for the phone, a user would have enough battery capacity to reliably play back videos on the phone.

I'm hoping this device makes it to market, but will probably wait till version 2.0 if it does. These things usually get better the second time around, after the rough edges have been polished and new features are added and refined.

Best,

Dan.