Author Topic: e-readers by torchlight?  (Read 3358 times)

rualexander

e-readers by torchlight?
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »
Considering getting an e-reader for my next tour and general use, either Kindle or more likely Kobo.
I'm baulking at the cost of the newer versions with built in lights like the Paperwhite or Glo, but I'm concerned about whether the more basic unlit versions can be read at night in the tent with a headtorch without getting bad reflections from the torch.
I know they have supposed unreflective screens but there is still some reflection.
What's the opinion of other e-reader users?

bobs

Re: e-readers by torchlight?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:23 pm »
I've gone down the Nexus 7 route as its an E reader , navigation aid, you can brows the web and send emails. Very happy with it. You can also listen to music and watch movies if you like.
Its not to big also.

Bob

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:17:39 am »
I have a Kindle 3rd Gen with 3G, Wi-fi, etc, now called the Kindle Keyboard. The two best things about it are the battery life when it is used only for reading and the screen, which you can read only if there is light because it has no backlight. It's a matt screen; it doesn't glare. If the light is dim, you just make the characters bigger. It's a good reading device. The promised free connection to the internet is a joke, so frustratingly slow that I've never managed to do as much as send a single email. The space on it is a come-on; if you actually load up lots of books (hundreds or thousands), it runs the battery down auto-indexing them. It's small and lightweight and simple to use for reading.

My Kindle was intended for editing books rather than reading them but I now use an iPad, and the Kindle has become surplus to requirements, simply because the devices duplicate each other.

I read on this forum that some people use a Kindle as their net connection during their big tour and marvel at their patience. I'd smash the thing in frustration on day one. I wouldn't even try it. I think it would be far smarter to get a good smartphone with a waterproof case for reading, email, gps, etc, and fit a USB charger on the bike to keep it working.

My Kindle 3G was bought for over 300 Euro including the most expensive and elegant TufLove case, and a thick wrinkle-free screen protector; it is pristine, little used, in the original packing, with all documentation and a set of books by me and chums. It is for sale at 200 Euro posted.

Andre Jute

DON'T DROP ME PM THROUGH THE BOARD -- that somehow ends up in a spam trap -- WRITE TO ME INSTEAD AT andrejute@coolmainpress.com

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:51:02 am by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:22:06 am »
My Kindle 3G was bought for over 300 Euro including the most expensive and elegant TufLove case, and a thick wrinkle-free screen protector; it is pristine, little used, in the original packing, with all documentation and a set of books by me and chums. It is for sale at 200 Euro posted.
Andre, you may wish to also make a separate posting in the Bike Bits / Accessories for Sale board so the widest possible audience can see it listed. Fairly presented and a nice "bundle" on offer.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:38:34 am »
Andre, you may wish to also make a separate posting in the Bike Bits / Accessories for Sale board so the widest possible audience can see it listed. Fairly presented and a nice "bundle" on offer.

All the best,

Dan.

Thanks, Dan. It didn't occur to me that I should offer it until someone else mentioned it. -- AJ

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:12:30 am »
I have one of the original Kindles and yes it is either readable by headtorch or more easily using a case with built in light although that does seriously reduce the battery life.

When travelling abroad I normaly take the kindle plus one other emergency book to be used when either the battery dies or for take off and landing when flying. The kindle doesnt really "switch off" but some airlines and other passengers can get antsy if you continue using it.

Be carefull when packing them as it is entirely possible (yes I have done it) to crack the screen although Amazon did replace for free.

At home I still prefer traditional books but will often use the kindle at night when the wife is sleeping as it is less obstrusive (if you sleep on the left side of the bed as the light shines across from top right hand corner)

Andy

Tartalo

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:41 am »
Hello,

I have the Kindle Keyboard (KB) and the Paperwhite (PW).
The PW is light, the screen is readable in any light condition and, with the brightness settings at maximum, it can work as a light for inside the tent.

The KB, heavier, has a slightly nicer contrast for reading in daylight ( my very personal opinion).
For touring, having to read the KB with a torch in my mouth/head or the PW, there are no questions.

The PW light and extra features over the normal Kindle are worth the extra £40.

DONE

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
2nd. for Kindle Paperwhite. Haven't used it on a trip yet, but often use the light turned up when looking around the room when reading in bed at night (it's a pretty good torch). Battery life approx. one month when used for about an hour per day.

Peddrov

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
I also have a Kindle keyboard. It works with torches just like books do, but obviously doesn't work at all in the darkness without a torch. It does exactly what I need. It also is my emergency internet device: Free internet anywhere in the world. Yes it's slow, yes it looks weird, but it's good enough to check ferry departure times or send that all important email when you're far away from a cafe with Wifi. And its battery life means it's probably alive when you need it, not like a tablet/smartphone. I also carry a smartphone for anywhere with Wifi, but I wouldn't even bother getting a data plan for this abroad.

I also found that I personally don't really read on tour after dark. If I'm camping, I'm usually too tired to read for long. I tend to do this on days off the bike or when I'm staying somewhere indoors, in which case I won't need the torch.

gover_1

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »
I have had both a kindle keyboard and a paper white. I have to say that it depends on the quality of your head torch, if it diffuses really well then the standard kindle will suffice. The paper white is a100% glare free camping device though, love mine

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:30 pm »
In the end, I bought a Kobo Mini, mainly on price and size considerations.
It seems excellent so far and is fine with the headtorch, especially the red light which I preferred with normal books at night in the tent anyway.
Two books read so far and less than 50% battery used.