Author Topic: Touring the Otways and Shipwreck Coast (Vic, Australia)  (Read 2617 times)

il padrone

Touring the Otways and Shipwreck Coast (Vic, Australia)
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:01 pm »
We did a 6 day tour of the Otways and Shipwreck Coast. Glenno and Jon came
along.

Day 1 - Disembarked the train at Winchelsea, then discovered my tent bag left on the train  :o. So
the route was changed to take in Birregurra and the bag was collected off the return
service at 1.05pm. Lunch in Birre then we rode to Forrest (very hot) and we visited the
brewery (maybe a mistake). Hard 7 kms ride to Lake Elizabeth for camp - beer caused the
legs to lag.

Day 2 - We stayed put at Lake Elizabeth reducing our exertions on this horrible 41C
day. Morning walk to the lake and around it. Afternoon was spent staying as cool as
possible, mostly sitting in or near the creek.

Day 3 - Glenno decided to go back to Birregurra and home. The heat had gotten to him
(and I don't think the Alfine 11 is a good choice for summer mountain tours). We
continued over Mt Sabine, down the Wild Dog Ck Rd to Apollo Bay. The town was extremely
busy with a market and it being Saturday. After lunch we rode on to Bimbi Park at Cape
Otway via the Parker Spur Track. Nice campsite, lots of koalas about.

Day 4 - We returned to the Great Ocean Road and followed it to Glenaire, took the Old
Ocean Rd then went in to Johanna Beach and rode up the Old Coach Rd and Hider Access
back the the GOR. Hard work, many steep pinches. We continued to Princetown and camped
here.

Day 5 - Did the tourist thing, 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge then stopped in at Port
Campbell for morning tea. Jon headed off to Camperdown here. Matthew and I relaxed
about town, then had a pleasant lunch under the Norfolk Pines. We rode on via London
Arch to Peterborugh. Great tailwinds.

Day 6 - We rode out past the Bay of Islands then inland to Nirranda punching into a
cross/headwind. We then turned east to Curdie Vale and Timboon with a tailwind. Enjoyed
lunch here and a visit to the Timboon Railway Shed Distillery. Bought a couple of nice
bottles. We rode along the Timboon Railtrail (slow going) to Cobden, then in rainy
conditions took to the road for a fast run to Camperdown to catch the train.

Overall a great tour, and it has me thinking about a club weekend tour out of
Camperdown to Timboon and beyond to the coast some time soon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:53:20 pm by il padrone »

jags

Re: Touring the Otways and Shipwreck Coast (Vic, Australia)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »
wow feel so sorry for you guys in all that sunshine   ::)
looks like a great place to ride a bike thanks for sharing.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:28:54 am »
My! What a nicely done photo-essay of your tour, Pete; thanks very for sharing.

At this end of the world (North 'Merka), we've been following the weather and now fire reports of what your experiencing there Down Under. Man, those are some temps. Even so, you still look cool.  ;)

I'll be returning to look at these some more; well done, Pete!

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:19:54 am »
A full selection of photos are here now.

The route of our tour is here.

Temperatures have generally not been too bad for us here in southern Victoria. Last Friday was the one true scorcher (41C), but other parts of this great land have had it much tougher. A bit of a surprise to have such severe fire conditions in Tasmania, while it was blowing a cool SE breeze in Victoria. Early next week things are forecast to heat up really bad for the outback - the Bureau of Meteorolgy has had to add another colour to their temperature map scale - 50-54C  :o

And some people keep telling me climate change is a myth  ::) We are getting these severe fire seasons much more frequently - every 3-5 years now instead of every 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:28:44 am by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
can't get to see the photos link dont work. ::)

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:23 pm »
Ah, stupid Facebook. Try this link then.

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:46 pm »
thats more like it thanks. really beautiful country scenery is stunning.