Author Topic: Wanted: Thorn Sherpa or Raven or other bike capable of expedition  (Read 4667 times)

Darragh

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a used Thorn Sherpa or Raven. I am 6ft 3" so would need a large frame. Bike must be in good condition. I would also consider other high quality touring bikes capable of long distances, rough roads and heavy loads.

Thanks for looking,

Darragh

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Wanted: Thorn Sherpa or Raven or other bike capable of expedition
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »
Hi Darragh,

Have you considered purchasing one of Thorn's new, ex-display, or used/returned bikes? They are available at a discount over the usual prices. SJS Cycles have a special page listing what's available at:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-new-ex-display-used-cycles-and-framesets-dept671_pg1/

Currently offered are a pair of Ripios, one with sus fork, the other rigid.  They're size 595 and claim to fit to 6'2", so might perhaps be close enough depending on how you/they are configured.  £1,199.99 for the rigid-fork model. Less robust and therefore unsuitable for your needs but a closer fit is a 610L Mercury; the listing for it states, "...you would need to be 6ft 2"+ to ride this bike".

eBay.co.uk is also a good source.  Usual search term is "Thorn bike", though they are sometimes listed otherwise.  Some occasionally crop up on our own Forum "Bikes For Sale" listing: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=16.0

And, of course, we'll keep an eye open for you as well.   ;)

Best of luck to you, Darragh; I hope you find your Thorn soon!

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:54:46 pm by Danneaux »

Darragh

Re: Wanted: Thorn Sherpa or Raven or other bike capable of expedition
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:43 am »
Thanks for that Danneaux, I'll keep in mind Thorn's used/returned webpage and hopefully something will crop up.

Cheers for that,

Darragh