Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Lost top gears after replacing back tyre - how do I get them back ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

CycleTourer:

--- Quote from: PH on April 24, 2022, 02:30:23 pm ---you might not always have a spanner with you!

--- End quote ---

The Thorn Sterling has an elliptical bottom bracket, right? I don't see any chain tensioner in pictures. Thorn's pedal wrench/BB adjuster has an 8mm hole cut into it precisely to adjust the Rohloff gearbox in emergencies, so I hope the OP is packing one of these.

PH:

--- Quote from: CycleTourer on April 24, 2022, 11:08:38 pm ---
--- Quote from: PH on April 24, 2022, 02:30:23 pm ---you might not always have a spanner with you!

--- End quote ---

The Thorn Sterling has an elliptical bottom bracket, right? I don't see any chain tensioner in pictures. Thorn's pedal wrench/BB adjuster has an 8mm hole cut into it precisely to adjust the Rohloff gearbox in emergencies, so I hope the OP is packing one of these.

--- End quote ---
I don't know about a Stirling, but the eccentric bottom brackets on the three Thorns I've owned need adjusting a couple of times a year at most, about every 3,000 miles. So no, I'm not routinely carrying the tools required to adjust it because it isn't ever the sort of job that needs doing roadside.

swayzak:
I find the EBB needs adjusting 3 or 4 times a year (to reduce chain slackness).

I use a big screwdriver to loosen/tighten the 2 bolts underneath - should I use a spanner instead ?

I do up to 90 miles per week commuting (3 bikes, the Thorne is my warhorse for any wet days).

PS What's the connection between adjusting the EX box / shifter to get full gear range back, and the EBB ??

CycleTourer:

--- Quote from: swayzak on April 25, 2022, 07:18:31 pm ---PS What's the connection between adjusting the EX box / shifter to get full gear range back, and the EBB ??

--- End quote ---

None, except that Thorn/SJS supplies a 3-in-1 tool that can do both, and this tool is a handy thing to keep in your saddle bag along with your multitool.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: swayzak on April 25, 2022, 07:18:31 pm ---I find the EBB needs adjusting 3 or 4 times a year (to reduce chain slackness).

I use a big screwdriver to loosen/tighten the 2 bolts underneath - should I use a spanner instead ?

--- End quote ---

I think the tool that works well for you is the right tool to use. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version