Author Topic: paramo jacket for sale  (Read 3010 times)

jags

paramo jacket for sale
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »
http://www.adverts.ie/camping-outdoor-pursuits/paramo-3rd-element-raincoat/2120853
just in case anyone is interested. supposed to be excellent jacket reckon it would be bought for 150euro.
cheers
jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: paramo jacket for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »
Nice jacket, jags...I wish it would shrink.  :D

Speaking of sizes, I am getting smaller and smaller in American clothing. I used to take a Medium and occasionally a Large, and now I am nearly always a Small. I guess this is a sign clothes are being upsized for the um, "upsized" (super-sized?) 'Merkin physiques we're seeing more and more these days.

This may also be what is referred to in the clothing industry as "vanity sizing", where the same sizes are assigned smaller labels so people won't feel as if they're gaining a size when they go up a notch.  No matter the cause, it sure makes choosing the right size hard....especially for remote purchases by mail and online.

Numerical shoe sizes here are shrinking as well. I used to wear an American Men's size 10; now it is a 9 or 9.5, and to get them narrow enough, I sometimes have to purchase the identical shoe in a women's size 10 (also getting smaller; it used to be a 12). In running shoes and trainers, identical shoes are frequently offered for men and women, the difference being in last width.

Huh. Small world...not!

Best,

Dan. (Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" is playing in my head...)

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »
my wife bought me a  nice pair of jeans size 34 waste  ::)
not a chance will they fit me oh how i hate fitting on cloths get's more embarrassing each time ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »
Scaling Everest?

Riding the Atacama desert?

Human-powered flight?

All those feats are as nothing compared to trying-on pants for purchase.

I just...despise doing so. No two marked sizes fit the same, and I usually manage to damage or twist a knee by the dozenth pair or so. Last tried this in July and managed to get only one decently fitting pair out of 15 tried...and then it had to go back when it shrank to toddler-size in the first washing.  More variation between examples marked the same size than between sizes.

Bah.  Bah!

All the best,

Dan. (In solidarity!)

jags

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
what can you do Dan when i catch sight of myself in a shop window i just can't believe it's me looking back, what ever happened to the skinny little  long haired kid  ;D
ah well i'm still  as happy as ever even though i'm stone broke, and too stone over weight.

in4

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
If I ate a few pies more that jacket would have my name on it! The hair shirt I often wear keeps me in the realms of a size large! I'm a Paramo user and for cycling my Quito jacket performs pretty well. Its lightweight, has lots of venting and is waterproof. There are couple of design issues I could whinge and moan about: I don't like the way the Quito sits on the nape of my neck gathering moisture and I'd prefer the cut around the shoulder to be more defined; it kind of slops about a bit. All that said does the perfect cycling jacket / top exist!? As the colder weather approaches I'm intent on exploring the possibilities offered by a pair of Quito trousers. Here's a link : http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_gear/info_PMOquittrs-Paramo-Quito-Mens-Trousers.html?source=googlebase
The venting via lots of zips might prove cycling friendly, as might the ankle straps.

Now, where shall I go a pie-ing today? LOL

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:34:02 pm by in4 »

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »
Two pies would be an extravagance  ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p00f4f37/blackadder_miriam_margolyes/

I love my Quito for cycling. But I am a die hard Paramo fan anyway. I'm going to try the Velez adventure trousers  as they make them long with velcro ankle adjustment. http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYLIGHTTROUSERSVELEZADVENTUREMENS perhaps we should compare notes.

It always rains on the righteous
Ian

julk

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:47:51 pm »
Ian,
I am also a Paramo fan.
I have the Velez adventure trousers and find them excellent.
Very warm though for cycling and fantastic on a cold campsite - I have trouble keeping my sons from 'borrowing' them.
I tend to use Rainlegs for average wet cycling, the Velez for really bad conditions.

When I got them I found the single ankle velcro strap allowed the 'chain' leg to flap too much mid calf around the chain line. I approached Paramo for an alteration and they put a duplicate velcro fastening at about 8 inches up the legs where the material changes. This is just what I needed to keep the trouser close to the chain leg at the chainline.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with them.
Julian.

triaesthete

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:27 am »
Julian
I will now forgive you for imparting the Nitto knowledge.  I'm glad to hear a cyclists review of the Velez trews as I've ordered some today. I've had Paramo since about 1997 I think and I don't own much Goretex! It's also good to hear of others who consider clothing  modifiable.
Thanks
Ian