Author Topic: Schwalbe Mondial v Dureme  (Read 2648 times)

in4

Schwalbe Mondial v Dureme
« on: May 05, 2023, 10:56:43 am »
Isn’t it ironic!
After riding a lot of miles over rough to smooth terrain my rear mondial split on the sidewall. One pothole too many. Thankfully I was carrying a spare tyre, a dureme so fitted that ( in the delightful surroundings of The Solway Firth. The change in ‘road feel’ was quite noticeable . My Nomad seems to roll a little easier. I’m feeling my way a little re tyre pressure as after riding mondials for so far you get a feel for what pressure works best, particularly when fully loaded.
When I return to base I might swop the front tyre out too and keep the still usable front mondial as my spare.
I’m hoping a third event is not imminent but after surviving some pretty awful weather further north my tent’s extension DAC pole snapped in a relatively mild wind last night. Perplexing. Thankfully I carry a pole sleeve so a quick repair was possible.

Today’s sermon is thus entitled ‘Do you really need all that stuff in your panniers?’ 😊

mickeg

Re: Schwalbe Mondial v Dureme
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 01:58:55 pm »
... my rear mondial split on the sidewall. One pothole too many. Thankfully I was carrying a spare tyre, a dureme so fitted that ( in the delightful surroundings of The Solway Firth. The change in ‘road feel’ was quite noticeable . My Nomad seems to roll a little easier. ...

... my tent’s extension DAC pole snapped in a relatively mild wind last night. Perplexing. Thankfully I carry a pole sleeve so a quick repair was possible.

Today’s sermon is thus entitled ‘Do you really need all that stuff in your panniers?’ 😊

I did a bike tour last month.  My touring partner broke a tent pole.  He needed some of my electrical tape, his pole sleeve was much bigger in diameter than his tent pole was, he needed some filler.  Fortunately, it was on our last night, so he only had to deal with a pole problem once.

He used to lecture me on how I should carry less weight.  But after a few trips where he needed my first aid gear and other items, he quit lecturing me.

Mondial is available as both folding and wire bead, I think they also have very different fabrics in the tire construction.  I think the wire bead version is slower.

And, if my memory is correct, Dureme also came in both wired and folding versions.  But Dureme came in two folding versions, a more heavily built Tandem version was also available.  I accidently bought a Tandem version, and it is really stiff, it is labled "Tandem Ready" on the sidewall. 

All versions have different rolling characteristics. 

I bought some Mondials to replace the tires on my Lynskey, I thought I was buying the folding version, but got the wired version which I think is slower, I have been putting off installing them as long as I can.

julk

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 02:58:33 pm »
I am still on 2” Duremes, the folding variety.
They give the most comfortable ride I have experienced.
Long may they last!

I suspect Andre has the most comfortable tyres.
Julian

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 04:05:33 pm »
Interesting vid here, by Ted King (from Jan Heine's blog):  https://www.renehersecycles.com/ted-kings-tips-on-choosing-tires/

Thinking once again about a 650 x 42 for my Mercury, with an "Endurance" casing...

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 05:54:00 pm »
When bike touring on my Nomad Mk II, I have been using Marathon Extremes (discontinued many years ago) in 57mm width.

They are very noisy on pavement (tarmac) but are surprising in how well they roll, very little rolling resistance.

The rear tire near the end of my last tour with that bike, I think about half the tread is gone in the center.  The siping is almost completely gone.

The tire is folding bead and has very thin and flexible sidewalls.

PH

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 10:02:45 pm »
Tyres do make the biggest difference, I'm still unconvinced by the idea that you can keep increasing volume and width without any downside, it's a bit too cake and eat it for me.  How much difference and whether the pros outweigh the cons is subjective, you have to find the compromise that best suits. 
I frequently run different tyres front and back, different sizes and/or different tyres altogether.  I've never had Dureme or Mondial, though the predecessor to the later was I think Marathon XR which I had when touring my Raven, a great all purpose tyres, but when i got home I'd swap back to the Panaracer Paselas and it would feel like a completely different bike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »
I'm still unconvinced by the idea that you can keep increasing volume and width without any downside....
There is a concomitant increase in rotating weight as tire volume increases. Once up to speed it is not much of a problem, but can be felt on hills and during frequent startups, as from stoplights when commuting.

Best, Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 12:08:34 am »
Tyres do make the biggest difference, I'm still unconvinced by the idea that you can keep increasing volume and width without any downside, it's a bit too cake and eat it for me.  ...

Agree.

I have three touring bikes:
 - The light touring bike is 700c with 37mm wide tires.
 - Medium touring (Sherpa), use 40mm or 50mm depending on terrain and load.
 - Heavy touring (Nomad Mk II), 55mm or 57mm.  Can use 40mm if mostly pavement, but have not yet.

The tour I did last month, about two weeks long, used the light touring bike with 37mm.  But that trip was 100 percent on smooth pavement.

If I anticipate a lot of off road, then the 55 or 57mm tires on the heavy touring bike.  But the Nomad Mk II is my only S&S coupled bike, so if I was using an airline for travel and only touring on pavement (tarmac), I might choose to use 40mm Marathons (with Greenguard) on the Nomad.

PH

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 10:12:32 am »
I'm still unconvinced by the idea that you can keep increasing volume and width without any downside....
There is a concomitant increase in rotating weight as tire volume increases. Once up to speed it is not much of a problem, but can be felt on hills and during frequent startups, as from stoplights when commuting.

Best, Dan.
I think there's a fair bit more to it than that. From what I can gather from the rolling resistance tests, the difference between the wheels/tyres on my two Thorns is around 15 - 20W at a steady 20kph.  Considering I'm probably averaging 120 - 140W that isn't an insignificant difference. There's trade offs of course, otherwise we'd all be riding around on 23's at 120psi.  I don't have any conclusions to push, I'm still trying to establish what compromises best suit me.  I'd love to try more tyres, but it's an expensive and wasteful curiosity, it's likely that most tyres are capable of most things in a satisfactory way (Or so I try and convince myself :-[)

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 12:05:10 pm »
I mostly decide tire width based on the terrain I am on and anticipated load on the bike.

There are a number of gravel paths in my area, each are maintained by different personnel using different materials.

The best maintained path, I usually ride my rando (UK translation = audax) bike with 32mm tiires (tyres).

Another that is well maintained but has a few soft loamy poorly drained muddy spots, use the light touring bike with 37mm tires, they do not sink into the soft ground as far.

The path that has the worst maintenance, use the Nomad with mountain bike tires at 57mm.

The above descriptions are for unladen riding for exercise or group rides.

On pavement (tarmac), the road bike has 28mm tires but narrower gearing than the rando bike with 32mm tires, so for unladen riding I often choose the bike based on gearing instead of tire width, the rando bike with a triple crank is used for routes with steeper hills.