Author Topic: Cleaning flange's rims  (Read 2248 times)

jul

Cleaning flange's rims
« on: June 25, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »
Hi !

Can i clean my flange's rims with a soft steal wool ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Cleaning flange's rims
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:43:20 pm »
Yes, it is possible with care.

I have used steel wool impregnated with a phosphate-free soap (to ensure the aluminum rim surface is not etched), gently rubbed under running water from a hose. I generally remove the tires so the aluminum oxides don't stain the sidewall reflectors or tan sidewalls (if I am using those).

A scuff pad will also work, but I prefer the method above because the water serves as a lubricant and so minimizes the amount of aluminum base that is removed in the process.

I prefer to use Kool-Stop all-salmon colored pads and find they leave little rubber residue on my rims and what is there removes pretty easily. I've found these pads to be much less abrasive on my rims than Shimano's offerings.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:11:09 pm by Danneaux »

jul

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:42 pm »
Perfect !

Yes "kool stop salmon pads" are planned 

The first owner did around 2000 miles, and i can see my flange's rims sightly raised, it is not smooth like new but just a little machined

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:01:10 pm by julio »

martinf

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 05:39:30 am »
I never use abrasives on the rims - I reckon the brake pads will remove aluminium quickly enough as it is.

If there are black deposits or traces of oil on the rims, I use a rag with some solvent (it used to be trichorethane, but is now something else less toxic, sold as "trichorethane replacement"), then wipe again with a clean dry rag. That generally gets rid of the deposits, and sometimes cures brake squeal.

If the brake pads are very dirty, worn in an odd shape, or have embedded grit/metal particles I file them smooth. If still on the bike (possible with cantilever and V-brakes) I do this with a file, if removed from the bike (calliper brakes) I use a clean part of the concrete  floor in my garage.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:45:48 am »