Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

2” tyres?

<< < (2/4) > >>

julk:
2” Duremes are my favourite tyre.
I run them at 30+ psi front and 40+ psi rear.
They are very comfy on rough tarmac and roll easily.
Julian.

mickeg:
There were two different Duremes, one was a much stiffer casing and the tire was labeled Tandem Ready in red text, and the other less stiff Dureme that was not labeled as Tandem Ready.  I bought a Dureme at a very good sale price on line but when it arrived I found it was the tandem version, it has more rolling resistance than the other Duremes and I would recommend against the tandem version.  I assume that the SJS ones are not the Tandem version.

onmybike:
I'm not a rider who gets massive mileage from my rear tyres and am always amused at the tourers who claim tens of thousands of trouble free km. In it's first 5 years and 30,000km (19,000km touring) no rear tyre on my Nomad lasted much past about 3,500km and I'm including here the ghastly XRs supplied with the bike (one premature tyre wall failure, the other tossed after its rough internal casing had shredded a number of inner tubes). The Conti Travel Contacts won my prize for the most sublime ride quality but, ugh, the sidewalls all gave up near that magic 3,500km mark. Along the way a few other Schwalbes were tried, all died prematurely, but I can't recall the exact flavours of Marathon involved. I also added a Kenda Kwest of some flavour in Laos; it died of tread delamination at about 4,000km - not to mention its concrete like ride Kwality.

Will the jump from 1.6" to 2" make much difference? Maybe a little, but as someone who has toured over a period of 30 years on the famous (in Aus) dirt Barry Way ( https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=491941&v=5E ) on a road bike with 25mm tyres, a 700C mid 80s tourer with 35mm tyres, and on a Nomad numerous times with tyres ranging from 1.6" to 2.0" (50mm) all I can say is tyres have surprisingly little to contribute to the rideability of any road - UNLESS THE CONDITIONS ARE EXTREME - for example long, long stretches of snow, sand or mud. I'd settle for the tyre with the best ride/durability compromise that suits you and that's more likely to come down to an individual tyre model's design than its specific width.

After a decade or more of expensive Conti & Schwalbe sidewall and manufacturing failures I ended up settling on cheap Maxxis Overdrive Maxxprotect 1.75s. In five years there has been not a single puncture or sidewall failure. For me the tyres have proven more durable, they are fast rolling and have a comfy ride and are sure footed on sealed and dirt. I get about 5,500km out of a rear which most years includes about 1200km loaded touring on a mix of dirt and sealed road. As an all-round touring tyre I can't fault them and at about 1/3 to 1/4 the Australian price of Schwalbe and Conti's offerings. I can usually pick them up for about $25AUD vs $70 - $100AUD for the german touring tyre offerings. UK prices on the Maxxis look a bit higher, Schwalbes and Contis a fair bit cheaper so you may not see the cost advantage that I do.

John Saxby:
I currently used Marathon Supremes 26 x 1,6 on my Raven, and have found them to be an excellent all-around tire.  I probably ride 90-95% on tarmac, but they work well on gravel too.

Someone who posts here from time to time (Tom777) visited me two summers ago on his cross-Canada ride, and both he and his wife were very pleased with their 26 x 2.00 Supremes.

In 2017, I tried a pair of Maxxis Overdrive Elite tires, sold as 26 x 1.75.  I was looking for a little more volume, but something that would still fit under my 52mm mudguards.  Turned out that they were exactly 40mm inflated, so I gain virtually no volume over the 1.6's (about 39.7 mm inflated).

The Elites would make a good multi-surface touring or commuting tire however -- they have a more aggressive tread than the Supremes.  They're a little heavier (540 gms v 440 for the Supremes) and perhaps a little slower on tarmac. I used them for a day ride and an overnight, maybe 250 kms in all.

Mine are available for sale -- I've listed them at Cdn$50 for the pair, but no buyers just now, as it's -15 and we've had 40 cms of snow in the past few days.  Send me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers,  John

Thomas777:
Yep! We have been quite happy with the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.
Planning a 3 month tour in Europe this year and will most likely put new tires on.
My dilemma is I like to start major tours with brand new tires even though previous ones are still in good condition. So I end up with extra tires in the basement!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version