Author Topic: SKS Mudguards Black or bronze  (Read 2945 times)

Andybg

SKS Mudguards Black or bronze
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:59 am »
I recently bought a new set of SKS mudguards in black and when they turned up they were distinctly bronze in colour. Looking back at my old set closely there is a slight bronze tint to them under bright light but to all intents look black where the new ones are definetly bronze.

Is this a trend, a one off, a batch or varies across the product range. (The old where 26P55 and the new are 26 P65)

Definetly one for the muppet pages but important to me. Anyone have any input?

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: SKS Mudguards Black or bronze
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:06 am »
Hi Andy!

Here in the States, the ESGE/SKS mudguards were at one time available in three distinct colors: Silver (which was essentially "clear" over the foil matrix), Black (which had/has a bronze tint in direct strong sunlight and Bronze (which was really a bronze color, sometimes ranging to almost a pale ale color). The bronze wasn't very popular here and was dropped from distribution. I understand they are still available in limited quantities in Europe, but I have yet to see them pictured/available in ads.

My black ones on the Nomad have a slight bronze tint, but it is only slight and then only in bright light at some angles. they definitely have a brownish cast compared to my truly black PlanetBike solid polycarbonate mudguards, which lack the SKS' sandwich/laminate construction.

For what it is worth, the P65s I have seen were a "browner" black than my P55s. Maybe that explains your color. Since the color is determined by the thickness of the top layer, perhaps it is just thinner in the wider 'guards and therefore less opaque.
Definetly one for the muppet pages but important to me.
<nods> I can surely relate to that. Appearance *is* important to many of us, and can make the difference between a coordinated look and something that appears "off".

Have you checked with the seller to get their take on things?

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
Andy,

I did find someone with a similar observation on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Chromoplastic-Bicycle-Fender-26x2-1-2-35/product-reviews/B000X63KDA/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending ):
...The ones at the store were angular in shape, and a nice gloss black color. They looked like the ones pictured here at Amazon too. Well, the ones I received were not quite black. They had a gold or bronze kind of a tint to them with stripes in the center. This is not what I was expecting. I knew that they were going to look terrible on my all black bike. I guess they look this way because they have a metallic base with plastic on top. They did seem like they were of great quality, so if someone liked the looks of them, they would probably be quite happy with them. They just were not for me. I sent them back.
Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:04 pm »
My P65 are plain black, no bronze tint.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:48:26 am »
My P65 are plain black, no bronze tint.

Same here. 26P65. All black.

But, that reminds me to ask a question about mudguards. I'll start a new thread, tho...

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:08 am »
Ummm...

Correction. I just had a look out in the bright sunlight, and lo and behold, there is a slight bronze tint underneath the clear black plastic overlay.

I can't help thinking it's there to "brighten up" the black. It disappears from 3 feet away.