Author Topic: To complain or not to complain  (Read 3018 times)

Andybg

To complain or not to complain
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
I have made the effort today to photograph the poor state of the bicycle parking at our local Lidl and send the complaint into the Lidl HQ in hope that something may get done about it.

I have decided that instead of habitualy complaining about it to myself I will complain to people who are able to do something about it.

Does anyone else bother to try to improve things or is the hassle and lack of response not worth the effort?

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: To complain or not to complain
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
Does anyone else bother to try to improve things or is the hassle and lack of response not worth the effort?
Yes, in answer to both questions.

Like you, Andy, I do try. And, having tried, I've found my efforts seldom meet with success.

However, lack of immediate results is no reason to abandon the Cause. You've taken a giant step in actually doing something concrete with a targeted approach, and it is surprising how that effort can comprise one more brick on the load toward the critical mass necessary to compel action. I've so often found my one.single.effort didn't bear fruit immediately, but in time, added to the weight of others, I could feel proud I added my voice and had a part in effecting positive Change.

On the greater number of occasions when nothing seems to happen in response, I am still content at having tried; trying does count for something in the greater scheme of things.

So, don't be disheartened if nothing seems to come of this right away or -- seemingly -- at all. These letters to Corporate do go into files somewhere, and even if you fail to receive a reply, you've registered your concerns. Good on ya!

Best,

Dan. (...who still believes the pen is often mightier than the sword, but nowhere as often or effectively as when that pen is wielded by Andre Jute)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:40 am »
Dan. (...who still believes the pen is often mightier than the sword, but nowhere as often or effectively as when that pen is wielded by Andre Jute)

Mind you, when pols and traders are slow, I do sometimes wish my pen would slash like a sabre rather than prick like a rapier. Cyclists can use all the help they can get. We have parking in front of the mall, about fifty paces through the rain to the front door of the mall, and another half a mile through the mall and the full length of the parking, again in the rain, to Lidl. I just park directly in front of the glass wall at Lidl, and leave the bike lights on so I see it instantly every time I turn an aisle. The n'lock is brill!

Andre Jute

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:30:25 am »
Ah ha. A subject dear to my heart. Complaining.

One thing for sure. Whoever you are dealing with be sure to ask if they are the person who can take action to change the situation.
Too often the person just passes the issue on and never checks to see if it has been dealt with.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35:38 am »
I have made the effort today to photograph the poor state of the bicycle parking at our local Lidl and send the complaint into the Lidl HQ in hope that something may get done about it.

I have decided that instead of habitualy complaining about it to myself I will complain to people who are able to do something about it.

Andy

I would not dream of shopping at Lidl, full stop!
All the money one earns goes out of this country overseas. We are complaining about the economy right now are we not?
I repeat, I would not dream of spending at at Lidl or Aldi.
John

julk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:12:25 am »
I live in Dalkeith near Edinburgh.
Lidl is the only shop in town with enough food choice, some of it sourced in the UK.
Next nearest is an out of town Tesco which is a rip off by comparison with Lidl.

I sometimes take the Brompton for a small amount of shopping - it fits in the trolley and comes round the shop with me.
When it is a big shop, needing the Thorn with 4 panniers, it is the n'lock and an Abus granite X which keep the toerags at bay.
Julian.

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:31:38 pm »
We do not have any Bulgarian run supermarket chains. The majority of the chain stores in this country are german based.

To update have had two replies from Lidl in less than 24 hours and have been asked to send the photos through that I took. Time will tell if any action takes place but it is nice atleast to get some sort of response. Just for interest I will attach the photos. One is of the broken bike rack. The second is of the bike rack that has been located facing a support column for the building so if your bike is more than a meter long it wont fit

julk

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »
Andy,
Those racks are Wheelbenders!
They also offer almost no security.

Our Dalkeith health centre was rebuilt in the last couple of years.
It had a wonderful new bike shelter but it was locked at first with no racks in it.
I found out they were proposing to install wheelbenders just like those in your photos.

Luckily I was in time to write and persuade them that sheffield racks were a much better solution, they are fitted and in use now.
Julian.

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »
Hi Julian

Thanks for the advice. I generaly use my clickstand to support the bike and then use the bikestand more as something secure to use the lock on. The sheffield type are much more supportive and on my nomad with its Suly front rack the two sort of lock together and make for very secure support.

Cheers

Andy

No

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:20 pm »
Find an organic type grocer. They tend to give more of a care.

[minor language edit for general audience by Dan]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:09:35 pm by Danneaux »