Author Topic: RST refurb  (Read 7871 times)

Hoodatder

Re: RST refurb
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 03:33:39 pm »
Sorry about that folks - I forgot to resize the pix ???

Hoodatder

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »
These should have gone the 1st time but didn't. You get the drift.

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:15 pm »
Great photos of a nice-looking setup, Ian!

Best,

Dan.

Hoodatder

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »
Thanks Dan,

It may not be original, but if seeing the set up helps others, then I'm well pleased.

Regards

Ian

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »
Hi there.
Only just noticed this thread. Nice looking bike and many congratulations on the referb work.
I see from the first pictures that your chain is quite slack.
My Raven chain goes slack quite often and I now only adjust it when it is about to fall off.
What is your own chain situation? Bottom bracket OK?
Did you fit a new chain/bracket?

Many thanks

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Hoodatder

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 10:26:10 am »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comps.

You wont believe it, but I only just took up the slack yesterday. I had been reading Andre's contribution on Hebie Chaingliders and thought out of curiosity to look at my chain and realised the slack. It hadn't bothered me in these last few weeks of cycling but thought I had better increase the tension.

I didn't change the BB when I refurbished the bike, although the BB did seem to be a bit "peppered" where it had been adjusted before. I did put a 17T sprocket on it and this should have given me a virgin piece of metal to anchor on to. The chain hasn't been replaced. I contacted the original owner and he informed me he had only done circa 2000 miles on it; owner number 2 claimed to have ridden only 700 miles on it; owner number 3  unpacked it and sold it to me; so, all in all, it's only done circa 3000 miles and I don't seem to notice any undue problems with it.

I would think it will be ok for another 2000 miles and then I'll change it. I would like to fit a Hebie Chainglider but I have a 40t chaingring and they don't manufacture for this size ring. However, I will ring SJS on Monday to see if I can fit the rear part without the front part (I know it sounds weird) because it will / should prevent the oil spraying up on to my panniers. Fortunately, I don't seem to suffer from chain tattoos as other members of this forum do - no names mentioned , eh Dan?

Anyway, must go. All this talk of slack, tension and virgin has induced thoughts of the ex and brought about a migraine!!

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 04:38:43 pm »
Fortunately, I don't seem to suffer from chain tattoos as other members of this forum do - no names mentioned , eh Dan? No chain tattoos here! While I would dearly love to fit a Hebie Chainglider, it seems unlikely they will make one to fit.

I use a Thorn bash guard to prevent chain-oilings of my right leg. It works wonderfully well for that purpose. Without the 'guard, the single best tool for removing chain tattoos from legs is a nice, top-level down sleeping bag or silk liner for same.

All the best,

Dan. (...who'd rather prevent than address the problem)

julk

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »
However, I will ring SJS on Monday to see if I can fit the rear part without the front part (I know it sounds weird) because it will / should prevent the oil spraying up on to my panniers.

As a chainglider user the rear portion would be a problem on its own, it would rotate forward and the bottom section catch on the chain.

If the main problem is chain oil spraying then try some http://www.in2dust.co.uk/Squirt.html instead. It is a wax based chain lube.
I am currently using it on my Brompton and it looks promising.
Julian.

Hoodatder

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 01:02:38 pm »
Hi Julian,

I rang SJS and they confirmed that there is no Chainglider for my 40t chainwheel and that also the rear guard cannot be fitted independently.

Thanks for the tip of the wax oil. I have already bought a litre of Rohloff specific oil and aim to use that.

I think perhaps that I might have been too liberal in the past with my application of oil on to the chain and not removed the excess with a rag - as advised by SJS. I will be more careful in the future.

Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »
I have already bought a litre of Rohloff specific oil and aim to use that.

A litre of Oil of Rohloff? Man, you'll be able to bathe in it for years. I used one little 50ml bottle of Oil of Rohloff for three years, and it is still half full. That stuff sticks like the proverbial on a baby blanket, is unaffected by rain, but is thin enough to creep well. I tried it on the open chains of pedal pals who do zero maintenance, and it lasts forever. There is no harm in wiping over even a nickel-plated chain with a cloth dampened with Oil of Rohloff for an extra layer of protection, but there is no advantage to soaking your chain in it, because that will just cause air locks which will ensure that the invisible parts where you really need the oil aren't refreshed.

You'd better get yourself some kind of an applicator with a thin nozzle, because all you really want is a thin bead of oil on the inside of the chain in the angle between the side plate and the rollers, on one side only. From there it will migrate inside the roller and to the other side, But if you lubricate both sides, you create an air lock and then the oil doesn't migrate and the roller wears, resulting in "chain stretch".

Hoodatder

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 09:44:52 am »
Ah! I am now enlightened!

How did you know I had bathed the chain in oil? That's exactly what I did. :o

Who would have thought an air lock would be created in a chain link, eh - and me a plumber too, in my previous life.

As for the litre oil, it cost £4.95 for 50ml or £39.95 for a litre. With my envisaged usage of the oil, it was a no brainer to buy the 1 litre.

I will now put my sales technique to my limited cycling companions and EMPHASISE the benefits of Rohloff oil that can be purchased from my goodself without incurring any carriage costs. Sold to the man in the corner with a white stick and hearing aid.

Seriously Andre, thanks for the tip. It's amazing by what you learn from asking seemingly stupid questions or proffering one's own experience.

Aside, as a plumber, we often used to put Fairy Liquid into a noisy heating system - this would in turn quieten it down. When I went self employed, I rang Fernox - a very reputable manufacturer of central heating inhibitors - and asked how the Fiary Liquid worked. I was given the answer "NOT to put that stuff in. It makes the water wetter" What, it makes water wetter? Apparently it does, this inturn causes it to release more oxygen from the water, which in turn reacts on the steel radiators and in turn makes the water more aggressive which in turn causes magnetite (FeO2) iron oxide which in turn causes pump and boiler failure and, more commonly, pinholing in radiators. I learned this from being curious and asking what might have seemed a naïve question. Most importantly, it corrected the errors that I had been ignorantly taught.

So Mr Jute, thanks again for the input, Please don't stop to correct any of us and keep passing down that knowledge.

Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 12:19:39 am »

Who would have thought an air lock would be created in a chain link, eh - and me a plumber too, in my previous life.

Seriously Andre, thanks for the tip. It's amazing by what you learn from asking seemingly stupid questions or proffering one's own experience.

So Mr Jute, thanks again for the input, Please don't stop to correct any of us and keep passing down that knowledge.

Ian

This encapsulates my belief too. If you don't ask you'll never know. Or, more pompously, It doesn't really matter what you know (that follows from the self-evident fact that you cannot know everything), it matters that you know who to ask. When I started cycling seriously, I knew barely enough to ask Jobst Brandt and Sheldon Brown and Chalo Colina. And I soon worked out that I didn't want to listen to the plague of road-bike "designers" and mountain bike marketers who infest the industry like a plague of rabies, I wanted to find a touring bike designer with a Scottish grandmother and check out his component choices, which is how I landed up here after discovering Andy Blance.

Aside, as a plumber, we often used to put Fairy Liquid into a noisy heating system - ... "...It makes the water wetter"

"I knowed that," said young Albert smugly, just before the lion ate him.

No, honest, I knew. Year before last I took up sketching, among other media in pen and ink, and learned then that inks and pens with flow problems are helped along by washing the pen out in soapy water, or even adding a tiny drop of washing-up soap to the ink, to make the surfaces inside the pen and on the paper wetter and thereby improve the flow.  Alzo, as they say in Germany, I learned that soap is added to watercolors to make the paper wetter and the pigment solution (sometimes in honey as a humidifectant) flow better. Some of my ink sketches are on this page: http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&start=60 and the pictograph on my posts in this forum (the horned character) is another.

Good luck with your liter of Oil of Rohloff. I still have two spare 50ml bottles I bought five years ago, before I discovered how frugal the stuff is. (I got the first one as a gift in the welcome pace of tools, spares and consumptibles from the makers of my bike.)

jags

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:31 am »
Andre your some cookie is there anything you dont know .your  a class act for sure. ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:37 am »
On flow and pens... Waterman Serenity Blue ink ... called Florida Blue in days gone by... is a great ink if a pen is balky. Parker Quink is good but Waterman Serenity Blue is just about the top. Pens and bikes, oh yeah!

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 01:20:34 am »
Andre your some cookie is there anything you dont know .your  a class act for sure. ;)

Jags: Ian and I aren't letting the women say we don't know one end of the washing-up liquid bottle from the other... We know plenty about washing-up liquid, just not how to do the washing-up.

Serenity Blue, eh, Jim. I'll look into it. Thanks.