Author Topic: My new Sterling  (Read 7195 times)

bobs

My new Sterling
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:03 pm »
Here is a photo of my new Sterling. Bought the frame and forks then transfered everything across from my Raven Tour.
Had to change to an EX box but it was easy following Rohloff videos.

Bob

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:47:47 pm by bobs »

in4

Re: My new Sterling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »
Great looking Sterling Bobs. Tempting me back to the SJS site! Did you choose not to have the sus' forks or was that how it came, so to speak.

There is something about the Sterling's rear triangle that makes it a very attractive bike too. Nice one!

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »
Thats a great looking Bike bob,
What was your reason for changing to the Sterling frame and what will be your main use for the new machine?

Nosey Ian...
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
wow good stuff bob looks fantastic ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:11:21 pm »
Bob!

My, what an outstanding bicycle, and how nice to see a Sterling represented here in full road trim. An absolutely superb build, and you did a fine job of it, too -- Couldn't look finer!

Bob, have you found any operational difference since switching to the EX box? Any change or increase in friction?

I simply love the beautiful matte green with black...reminds me of the deep forest.

Congratulations on your new ride!

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »
Nice build, ready for the rough roads! :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
what is this xbox ??? ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »
what is this xbox
External shifter box for the Rohloff hub, jags. It attaches to the outside of the hub on the left side there, below the dropout. The internal shifter arrives from above on Thorns that use it, via a stop bolted to the left-rear v-brake boss. Choice is partly determined by routing, and the external shift box is thought by some to have a bit more friction, but is easily removed by a thumbscrew. The internal version uses little quick releases on each shifter wire. Either setup works well, it is largely a matter of preference and what works best for the cable routing on a given frame.

Best,

Dan. (...that, or Bob is playing games we can't see  :D )
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:33:23 pm by Danneaux »

bobs

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:42:24 pm »
Thats a great looking Bike bob,
What was your reason for changing to the Sterling frame and what will be your main use for the new machine?

Nosey Ian...
The reason I changed was without sounding shallow because I could. I didn't need to and was happy with the Raven Tour but liked the look of the Sterling. Also it gives the option of a suspension fork. I enjoy building up bikes and changing them. The bike will be used for touring and cycle camping and   a bit of off road. I found little difference in the shifting with the EX box, ( but get a better slection of games compared to the Nintendo ) ;D  Jags. ;)

Bob

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
That's a great looking bike! Super colour too, not ostentatiously aggressive. -- Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »
hah i'll say nothing  :-[
super looking bike though Bob enjoy every pedal stroke .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »
The reason I changed was without sounding shallow because I could. I didn't need to and was happy with the Raven Tour but liked the look of the Sterling. Also it gives the option of a suspension fork. I enjoy building up bikes and changing them.
Not a bit shallow, Bob. If we waited for Thorns to wear out, we'd be waiting a lifetime! Sometimes, change for change-sake is good; keeps cycling fresh and new and gives a fresh perspective and point of reference. I've added bikes to my stable not because there was anything wrong with the old ones, but 'cos there was something on each new one that appealed or looked as if it would make life a bit easier or better-accomplished (always successful to date). Annnnnd, I um, like building and changing (my) bikes, too -- just don't tell the friends who want me to build up their bikes for free! It is a bit like offering computer support...there's no such thing as "just this one time". :D

Really nice job on this one, Bob.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »
Nice bike. May I ask about the pedals you use?
I need a pair for my new Raven Tour.
Thinking about Shimano MX30 or 80
Or Lambdas.
Anyone any thoughts on above types?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

bobs

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:32 pm »
They are just a cheap pair of wellgo's, but fancy a pair of Shimano Saints.

Bob

il padrone

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:25 am »
Nice bike build, really well set up.

What is the difference between the Sterling and the Nomad frame? It looks almost the same design to me.