Author Topic: Hebie Steering Damper  (Read 2445 times)

navrig

Hebie Steering Damper
« on: May 18, 2023, 06:21:44 pm »
I'm in the middle of a 4000km tour.  I'm using rear panniers, a rack bag and a bar bag.  I am not that experienced and am finding bike stability when parking and pushing at low speed a pain, especially if I have to move from pushing on one side to the other.

I met some Swiss cyclists and I noticed their bikes had a damper fitted.  I took a photo and Google told me it was one of these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/hebie-steering-stabilizer-for-bipod-stand-usage-hbp4/

If I'd known about stability issues I would have explored this as an option before leaving.  I may still fit something when I get home.

Anyone used one of these and does it work and does it not interfere with steering when riding?

j-ms

Re: Hebie Steering Damper
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 07:42:50 pm »
I have one on my Raven.  Even with full front panniers there is no wheel flop when parked using a kickstand.  No negative effect on steering. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 11:24:25 pm »
I'm in the middle of a 4000km tour.  I'm using rear panniers, a rack bag and a bar bag.  I am not that experienced and am finding bike stability when parking and pushing at low speed a pain, especially if I have to move from pushing on one side to the other.

I met some Swiss cyclists and I noticed their bikes had a damper fitted.  I took a photo and Google told me it was one of these

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/hebie-steering-stabilizer-for-bipod-stand-usage-hbp4/

If I'd known about stability issues I would have explored this as an option before leaving.  I may still fit something when I get home.

Anyone used one of these and does it work and does it not interfere with steering when riding?

I don't use the Hebie stabiliser because the flopping front wheel (with the handlebars pointing the other way) is part of my bicycle security program, using a Swiss invention, the n'lock.

However, one of your problems, can be solved by putting another kickstand on your fork. These things are custom-designed for that application. Check SJS or failing them, Roseversand in Germany. The reason I mention it is because, if my bike were as heavily loaded as yours apparently is, I would want the front of the bike to share in the load support, rather than merely transmitting all the load back to the rear chain stay.

That said, in your present position it seems to me the Hebie item solves all your problems at once and you can consider the front kickstand as an addition rather than an alternative at your leisure after the tour.

navrig

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 05:46:24 pm »

I don't use the Hebie stabiliser because the flopping front wheel (with the handlebars pointing the other way) is part of my bicycle security program, using a Swiss invention, the n'lock.

However, one of your problems, can be solved by putting another kickstand on your fork. These things are custom-designed for that application. Check SJS or failing them, Roseversand in Germany. The reason I mention it is because, if my bike were as heavily loaded as yours apparently is, I would want the front of the bike to share in the load support, rather than merely transmitting all the load back to the rear chain stay.

That said, in your present position it seems to me the Hebie item solves all your problems at once and you can consider the front kickstand as an addition rather than an alternative at your leisure after the tour.

Maybe I didn't provide enough detail.

I don't have a kickstand (and don't intend to fit one never mind two) but simply park the bike by leaning it against something.  Usually one of the rear panniers takes the load but unless there is some sort of restraint for the front wheel it flops increasing the chance of the bike rolling away from the support.  For example, I would avoid using a lampost as a support as it would only support the pannier and would likely roll sideways away from the lampost and fall over.

I didn't say my bike was heavily loaded.  It has rear panniers and a rear rack, probably 20-25kg at very most plus 6kg on the bars.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 07:21:18 pm »
Hi Navrig,

My suggestions won't be much good to you tight away on this tour.  They may be helpful when you get home, review everything, and later plan another tour.

This is what I use on the kickstand/wheelflop/unwanted rolling wheels cluster.  All have been tested on my Raven over eight seasons, and are now part of my kit for the Mercury Mk 3 which has replaced it:

1)   Kickstand: I use this instead:  http://www.click-stand.com/  The click-stand I use has four segments, which gives me a folded bundle slightly longer and more slender than the 5-segment item.  Depends where you stash it -- mine goes into my Revelate medium frame bag.

2)   Wheelflop:  I use a QR rubber tie, 6". Dead simple, light, cheap, functional.  Here's a photo: https://www.gafer.pl/en/37,rubber-cable-tie-t-fix-type  Note that these things have all-of-a-sudden become very difficult to find in less-than-industrial quantities. (They're used in agricultural settings, esp gardening & vineyards.)  If you want one or two and can't find them, send me a PM and I'll send you a couple by post.

3)   Rolling wheels:  Click-stands come with temporary wheel lockers, but they don't work very well.  Here's the preferred item:  https://bikebrake.com/  Or, you can use the 4" QR tie -- see above.

Hope this is helpful in due course. 

Safe journeys,  John

UKTony

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 08:51:45 pm »
Here’s another gadget I came across recently. Not used one but looks like it might meet your requirements.

https://steerstopper.com/

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 01:29:03 am »
I used a wee rock/ stone to stop the front wheel turning when parked.
Not heavy to carry and I get quite attached to it on tour.
I usually give them a name. My one here in Thailand is called, Rocky. Not very imaginative but appropriate. God luck with the rest of your tour
Feel free to copy my idea.
No charge .
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

navrig

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 08:40:24 am »
Here’s another gadget I came across recently. Not used one but looks like it might meet your requirements.

https://steerstopper.com/

Thanks.  I think I prefer the Hebie.  It's always "on" and less obvious.

I haven't had problems needing a wheelstopper as I usually lean the bike in a way to stop it moving forward.  It's just that handlebar turnng issue.

PH

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 10:53:57 am »
It does occasionally catch me out when pushing, but not so much that I'd fit anything, I've just developed the technique to minimise it.  Mainly wheeling the bike holding onto the stem, rather than the saddle which I'd prefer on an unloaded bike.  The other thing is to keep the bar bag light, or if I have to wheel a bike a fair way, through a pedestrianised shopping street for example, I'll remove the bag and wear it.  I know how much difference bar bag weight makes, when stopping off at the supermarket on the way home, I'll sometimes lazily throw the 2kg lock in the bar bag and if I've forgotten I've done that it becomes seriously unwieldly when I get off.