Author Topic: Sherpa rebuild  (Read 1599 times)

phopwood

Sherpa rebuild
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:31:21 pm »
Not posted on here for a while, I still read lots of the posts and I know I should be more involved.
I dismantled my Sherpa 500s about 2.5 years ago for parts to build my RST and the frame was just hanging in the garage, so I decided to rebuild it.  I have used a mixture of new and used parts.  Not sure I need another bike but you know what it is like, I had forgot how very nice it is to ride.  I went for a wide low geared option 22/32/42 at the front and 9 speed 11-34 at the back.

New parts
  • Rear derailleur deore
  • Cassette11-34 - 9 speed
  • Brakes
  • Cables full set brakes and gear
  • Mudguards
  • Bars
  • All stainless steel bolds for the braze on’s

Used part
  • Frame / Forks / seat post
  • Crankset 22/32/42
  • Wheels – nothing special, but straight and true(ish)
  • Tires
  • Levers
  • Gear pods

All the best.
Peter

phopwood

Re: Sherpa rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:33:28 pm »
More Pictures

phopwood

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »
More

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:15:32 pm »
Sherpa is a nice bike.

I had not ridden my Sherpa since I built up my Nomad about 3.5 years ago.  But I did not strip any parts off of it to use for the Nomad, instead I just put it in storage, hanging from a hook in the ceiling in the basement.  I could almost hear it whimpering from neglect every time I walked passed it.  (Just joking, I know it is an inanimate object.)  So I got it out a few months ago. 

It was in storage because with my home layout, I can only store indoors two bikes for immediate use.  I am only keeping one 26 inch wheel touring bike handy and I mostly have used the Nomad this year.  I mostly use the 26 inch touring bike for riding on unpaved trails.  The other bike that I keep handy is a 700c bike more suited for light weight faster riding on pavement (tarmac).

On the Sherpa I did not like the bars that I had on it so I changed out the bars.  And I changed one chainring to half step gearing (something that I had done on a different bike) which I had been thinking about for a while.  Rode teh Sherpa regularly for a few months before I put it back into storage about a month ago. 

I am sure I will use both bikes for future tours, the Nomad for rougher travel with heavy loads or the Sherpa for lighter duty tours on better maintained roadways.  It is nice to have a choice of several bikes.  And having a couple different touring bikes, one Rohloff and one derailleur has it's merits too.