Author Topic: Hanging ones bike up - Good storage method?  (Read 4313 times)

energyman

Hanging ones bike up - Good storage method?
« on: November 01, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »
Anyone out there store their bikes using one of those high hooks ?
Does it damage or strain components ?
I'm in the process of building a secure shed and was considering this method.
Comments welcomed.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Hanging ones bike up - Good storage method?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:14:24 pm »
Hi e-Man!

I have a variant on one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/mobile-bike-storage-61231.html

I also have a Minoura stand from the 1980s that is freestanding an used coated hooks under to support bikes with horizontal top tubes, one over the other.

There's also a winch device that draws a bike up off the floor, using hooks under the handlebars and saddle rear rack, since it could damage the saddle, in my opinion.

...and I use hooks placed in the rafters to hold bikes by two wheels or one.

All these methods are viable, but I would urge caution with wheel hooks:

• Obvious, but make sure the hook is going into something solid. If near a roof, joists and studs can be weakened in unseen ways, sometimes by rot or termites.

• Avoid the excessively discounted hooks, as they can be of such mild steel as to stretch open with time under the weight of a suspended bicycle. I'd suggest not hanging a bicycle carrying a touring load; unladen will give best results.

• For the same reason, the vinyl dipping on the hooks can come off/pull through, causing the steel hook to damage the edges of aluminum rims. The cheap ones also have a coating that softens in summer heat, causing the same issue. This can be a problem if installed near a warm roof. I have sometimes sleeved even the better hooks in clear vinyl tubing to prevent rim damage. Of course, clean rims will stay nice on hooks than ones covered in road grit or salt.

• Be *sure* the hanging wheel's quick-release is securely closed, especially if the bike is suspended by the front wheel if the dropouts lack "lawyer tabs". Rear wheel dropouts are generally more resistant to pull-out when the bike is suspended by only one. An incredible amount of bicycle damage can be incurred from an unbroken fall as short as a meter onto concrete.

With these caveats in mind, I've found all the methods above to work fine, hooks included.

Best,

Dan.

EDIT: By the way, I've never seen a well-built, properly tensioned wheel pulled out-of-round by hanging on a hook.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:17:29 pm by Danneaux »

RobH

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »
I hang my bikes by their front wheel. If you think about it, the wheel has to take some cosiderable stresses and strains while in use, so the weight of the bike - although it is from a different angle - is unlikely to do any damage. I suppose the same would apply if you were to hang it by any frame part, though I would advise against hanging it by its cables or by the saddle.

Having said all of which, do make sure that you use strong enough hooks - I'm afraid I can't remember where I got mine from - and make sure that they're adequately covered. The plastic coating was incomplete on one of mine and I got a scratched rim as a result.

energyman

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:32 am »
Thanks for the replies. I now have the way forward.  Next decision is the coloUr of the window curtains !! :)

Tiberius

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:10:53 am »
Next decision is the coloUr of the window curtains !! :)

DON'T ask my Mrs.......It took her two months to choose a toilet seat (really !!)....... :o

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:48:35 am »
Do any of the bikes use hydraulic brakes?

RobH

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:07:48 am »
None of mine do!

phopwood

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:00 am »
I hang mine by the back wheel to a large hook, I have never had any problems or scratches on the rims, that i have noticed.  I got the hooks from homebase for a few pounds.

Peter

Audax hopeful

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:42 am »
I use Delta cycle storage hooks. The bikes hang from the front wheel, and rest on the tyres against the shed wall. I've had no problems with scratching or damaging the wheel and this method seems to me to maximize the storage area in my shed. The only drawback I can see is you do need to be strong/able enough to lift the bike quite high to engage the wheel with the hook, possibly in a confined space. Maybe not good if you have back problems.

Nich 

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »
When I worked in a bike shop, the ceiling hooks were close enough that you could hang one bike from the front wheel, the next bike from the rear, the next from the front, etc.  That way you could pack them in tighter, but it was very hard to get a bike out from the middle of the row.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »
I've got a tall (4m), but narrow (4m) garage/workshop, and 5 in-the-way bikes, three of which are going to be hoisted up above by bike lifts which are already in hand but not yet installed.

I'm having trouble getting up to the ceiling, but will (hopefully) borrow a friend's narrow scaffold next weekend, and post a photo.

energyman

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:25:39 pm »
Do any of the bikes use hydraulic brakes?

Dave,
Yes one of them.
Why ?