Author Topic: Mk 3 Audax variable speed?  (Read 1416 times)

leftpoole

Mk 3 Audax variable speed?
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »
Hi all,
I have a blue Audax Mk 3 and a red Audax Mk 3 . The blue bike is fitted with Schmidt dynamo hub and lighting. It also has a Tubus fly rear rack and a Carradice Nelson saddlebag full of winter use kit etc. The red Audax has no such fitments and a smaller Carradice Barley bag.
I have been working on a theory about speed and endeavor according to bike weight which obviously includes carried luggage. Obviously due to the extras fitted  the blue bike plus larger saddlebag with full compliment of winter waterproof jacket etc is heavier. Hence rides more slowly, but strangely a little more comfortably! This comfort is I feel because the Brooks B17 Special saddle has been sat upon more and fits my backside better.
However in recent days after much pondering and measuring and thinking about weight it has become so obvious why the red bike goes quicker.
Especially for Dan and jags, here is the answer which is perfectly correct in all detail.
Ready?
Answer is obvious-the red bike is......red!  Red bikes go faster. My red Audax looks faster just standing still.
Enjoy.
John............

jags

Re: Mk 3 Audax variable speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:37 pm »
hah you could be right there john. ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:33:02 pm »
...Red bikes go faster.
;D ;D Well of course, John! Red tools work better as well!

Haha! There's real joy there, and good to see.

I do think there may be a little added something in regards to comfort, and that is greater mass carried on the blue bike's frame. Though I can't quantify the effect, I believe extra weight may add a bit of a damping effect that reduces the propagation of sharp jolts, or perhaps it simply forces the frame to flex a bit more than when unloaded. Perhaps it is the result of a change in tire profile under greater load?

For example, my Nomad Mk2 would ride like a paint-shaker if I used Andy Blance's *maximum* recommended F/R tire pressures of 53/60psi on an unladen bike. However, it provides a silky-smooth ride when laden with an expedition load...even smoother than the unladen bike with only 29/36psi in the tires. Under the greater mass, the fork flexes noticeably and the entire bike comes into its own --- a dual-use machine based in part on load carried and pressures used.

Same for my other rando bike, which is fast (maroon, which is close to the red end of the spectrum) accelerates and handles like a fighter jet and is so lively it unfortunately rides pretty harshly unless laden with camping gear.

But of course, if these bikes were bright red like your "hot" Audax and my tandem...they'd work that much better! One cannot fight facts, after all! You'll note I've added little splotches of red color to the Nomad and red panniers as well. Otherwise, I'd make no distance to speak of when on-tour!

Best,

Dan. (...who loves pseudo-science almost as much as Science)

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »
Ferrari's and Ducati's should always be red.