Author Topic: advice on stem and carbon fork.  (Read 4926 times)

Audax hopeful

Re: advice on stem and carbon fork.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »
I've raced and time-trialed in my past. I rode with the club on training rides. And I had a short wheelbase racing frame for the job. I also had close ratio gears (bottom I think was 60", top 100" - derigour at the time!) and I thought I was fast-ish!! In the winter though the Sunday club run had to be with mudguards (if not you stayed at the back all day!) and commuting was on 68" fixed.

Roll on several years and that racing bike (and a carbon version too) weren't so fast. My power output will never rival my "glory" (sort of!!) days, and the hills of Devon are vicious. Fixed is an impossibility down the hills, let alone up! Racing gears, even with the luxury of 10 speed cassettes, are no way near low enough. No, a carbon race bike of any price would not solve the problems. Delightful it might be for ten or twenty minutes, but just too uncomfortable and too much walking on the steeper uphills! My enjoyment of cycling has changed. Ultimate speed is irrelevant; comfort and taking pleasure in the journey is the over-riding priority.

I still appreciate a bike that handles well and is well built, with quality components and modern features. I want to take pride in my ride and know that it's capable of long distances, when I am, without beating me up. Mudguards are not an accessory but an essential. Just like a saddlebag is always attached to carry waterproofs, food and an extra layer - oh and perhaps alternative shoes for walking around an historical monument or manor house. For all this my Audax is the perfect bike. And is faster than a carbon racer because it gets me there, and back with a smile on my tired face!

Just my take on things!

Nich

Relayer

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:22:57 am »
My take on this ... for what it's worth ...

Anto wants a lighter/faster bike because he has struggled to keep pace with the groups he has been riding with recently.  It also seems that what Anto loves is not the speed of those runs, but the "craic". I can understand this, because I used to do a lot of social cycling, and you have to go with the speed of the group.  Therefore, if he wants/needs a lightweight bike, and it is gettable then more power to his elbow.  This is not about touring!

I suggested a carbon fork in the other thread, not primarily about lighter weight or extra speed, but to enable a longer/higher steerer to raise his handlebars [which will not make him go faster but] which will hopefully alleviate his painful back problem. Secondary to that, I know that Anto likes carbon and it may also smooth out some of the vibrations from bad road surfaces.  If it makes the man happy then it's all good.

Anto, you get whatever bike suits you, and if you can't get it for a while then dreaming about it is good too.  

I think I will forever be addicted to dreaming about n+1 ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:33:34 am by Relayer »

Audax hopeful

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 08:19:07 am »
Oh, I second that!!

For me it's a Thorn Mercury! Can't see it happening, but someday, maybe...!

Dreaming's good!

leftpoole

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 09:15:49 am »
Relayer I think I will forever be addicted to dreaming about n+1 Wink
Jim,
Im onto that one!
John

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:13 am »
Jags, you've certainly kept me amused with your contributions and enthusiasm for the positive outlook.  

There's no point being dogmatic about your bike.  I think it's a continual process of trying to match your current bike with what you currently want to get out of cycling.  Drift away from a steel frame to a carbon frame, you may return to steel or not.  You might go off and try BMX, track racing, Dutch bikes, etc.   Doesn't matter, so long as you're enjoying being out pedalling.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

cheers,
Doug

jags

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:58 pm »
Lads thanks one and all appreciate all the great replys  sure i love the feckin lot of yis. ::)
i suppose the best thing i could do before i go selling of changing parts is to get a proper bike fit.you would think after all the years i've been cycling i should know what size bike fits me.
but the problem im having (cheers Jim ) is my back i'm in my 60's now, not that i feel like an old dude far from it the head is still 19 the bones are starting to seize up tho.

yeah i think i just need to get things as i want them with the audax it will do my crazy head good.
the group cycling is great but to be honest i miss cycling on my todd, im just one of these guys that cant say know.
anyway lads i'll hang about let you lot know what im gonna come up with .
btw nothing wrong with mudguards  ::)

anto

rualexander

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »
As well as trying a different stem etc., you could try a compact drop handlebar which will bring the brake hoods an inch or so nearer to you as well as making riding on the drops more practical and less of a challenge for your back.
I've got compact drops (FSA Vero) on my Sherpa and my Audax mk3 and wouldn't like to go back to standard drops..
Chainreaction have them for £23.99.

jags

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 04:28:40 pm »
cheers rual i think i have compact drops on her.

rualexander

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 05:01:56 pm »
cheers rual i think i have compact drops on her.
They don't look like compact drops.

jags

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »
shallow maybe Rual im a geek. ::)

anto