Community > Thorn General

Carbon seatpost and rust on Club Tour!

(1/2) > >>

john28july:
Hello all,

About this topic (above). I have had for 6 Months a Carbon seatpost fitted to my Club Tour. Over the New Year period I decided to do some cleaning and maintenance. One of my .jobs. was to make sure no condensation was in the seat tube. I took out the seatpost and to my HORROR I saw that the tube was rusty. I have another Carbon seatpost in my Audax 853. With speedy thought I took that post out too. Result? No rust but a perfect shiny metal tube. It is not possible to use a Carbon seatpost with grease. I fitted an alloy post to the Club Tour with lots of grease and now have a 'spare' carbon seat post.
If any of you have bikes fitted thus, please take a look before its too late.
Also, does anyone know if a suitable remedy can be found .
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

julk:
John,

I was advised by SJSC to take my carbon seatpost out of the frame and clean any rust off once a month. I put a slice of inner tube over the joint between the frame and seatpost which helped by keeping rain out. This all worked well, but was a nuisance on a bike which is designed to be virtually maintenance free and I did notice small amounts of rust each month.

I did this for nearly a year before I decided to try some 'carbon grease'. In August I obtained a pot of Tacx Dynamic Assembly Compound Carbon and spread it inside the seat tube and on the seatpost before reinserting the seatpost without the inner tube cover over the joint. The paste has very small plastic balls suspended in it and these squash on tightening the clamp bolt, increasing the grip or allowing you to use less torque on the carbon component.

On reading your post I have just removed the seatpost to see what has happened in the last 4 months, answer nothing, the tube is not rusty and the carbon seatpost has not dissolved in any way.

Result one happy user of a carbon seatpost in a steel frame - thanks to carbon assembly paste - recommended.

lewis noble:
Where are my hex keys??

Julk, where did you get the carbon assembly paste from?? Never seen it at LBS or Halfords . . . .

Lewis

julk:
Lewis,

I looked for it on Google.
The best price I found (delivered) was Dotbike who delivered it very quickly.
Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound

SJSC have stocked an equivalent one by Pace -
PACE RC005 Carbon Composite Shield/Carbon Grease - but it is currently not on their site.

john28july:
Hello,
Firstly-I thank all for these replies.
Secondly-anyone want to buy two 27.2 seatposts in Carbon?
Why-well I have been on the telephone to the Scott retailers of carbon cream as its called. It is for use between Carbon and Carbon. NOT Carbon and Steel. Carbon and steel DO NOT work!
Thats great advice is it not? In other words Carbon seatposts freeze in Carbon frames used without cream and freeze in steel frames too. But-one cannot use cream in steel frames used with Carbon seatposts.It is not possible to use any type of grease in a steel frame with a Carbon seatpost.
Mine will be going onto Ebay.
Great. (Not)
John. :'( :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version