Community > Thorn General

design me a bike

(1/3) > >>

Simon Ponsonby:
Hi everyone - 1st posting - serious request

I currently own a super 'Koga Miyata World Tourer' - It cost a lot but I knew I needed something special to get me cycling after 16 years not on any saddle & developing heart problems. But now I am fitter, healthier & happier (though not lighter??)and smitten by cycling. Trawling the internet it seems Thorn make the best of the best.

If I was buying the definitive, life-time purchase (cheaper than replacing the car) - which had to get me to work n back daily; cope with my 100kg weight, be able to be loaded up further for weekend/week tours; and keep my pulse racing in every sense - what would I need to buy?

I would value your considered opinions on everything from model, frame, gearing, brakes, wheels, tires etc. Assume there is no price limit (but dont tell my missus)

Cheers in advance

si

bobs:
What's wrong with the bike you have ? By all accounts it's a great bike.

Simon Ponsonby:
Thanks Bobs
Sure - my Koga is wonderful - but if I am dreaming of owning one 'bike for life' - I think a purpose built Thorn has got into my blood. The Koga is new enough to sell at a reasonable price and the money put to the 'dream bike'. When considering buying a bike, I looked long and hard at the Thorn but just couldnt justify the outlay (I can hardly justify the outlay on the Koga but being 100kg+ meant from the start I had to buy expensively to take my weight.)
But now having really taken by cycling - feeling it will be a whole lifetime hobby, lifestyle change I am musing about making the ultimate purchase.

However, if you think that unecessary - that is an important contribution to my thinking

si

Fred A-M:
Assuming you mean road touring as opposed to expedition touring, I can't help feeling that the Raven Tour is probably the Thorn best suited to your needs.  This again assumes you want a Rohloff equipped bike.  It's rugged, reasonably versatile and has been voted on at least two occassions as touring bike of the year. It's far from the most expensive Thorn, but if really feel the need to maximise your expenditure, there's lots of upgrade potential!

julk:
Simon,
If price is not an obstacle, then look at the Rohloff eXp, eXXp and eXp R range for all-round, off-road and on-tarmac use respectively.
I have a Rohloff eXp which I specced for heavy loads and purchased as my ultimate bike after I retired.
It has given me lots of cycling enjoyment, copes with whatever I demand of it and will probably be handed on as a family heirloom in the hopefully distant future.
Julian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version