Author Topic: Iceland with sherpa  (Read 7147 times)

mickeg

Re: Iceland with sherpa
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
Do you plan to post a trip report or summary or itinerary or or map of your route or anything like that somewhere?

Were there any guides or guidebooks you found helpful?

Now much of your trip was camping an how much in hotels/hostels?

strictnaturist

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:59 pm »
Hi, thanks for your message. I will be limited to text I am afraid
I camped for the three weeks I was In Iceland.I cycled two routes.The first up to the north west point of the Western Fjiords, then south from the north coast down across the interior ( highland ) route number 35 , back to Reykjavik. Both took 8 days , with visits/detours to look at cliffs/visit people etc. Of the 16 days cycling, at least 10 would be on gravel roads. The West Fjiords were stunning, very quite roads , only meeting two other cyclists in the 8 days. I took the bus from Reykjavik up to the north coast to reach the route 35 across the interior which saw more traffic as it as road only open for about three months and offers both visitors and Icelandic a view of the incredible desert landscape between the two glaciers. This , I believe is the only north / south route that has bridges over the rivers. As the rivers were high this year, a safer route for lone cyclists. I took the "Rough Guide" book to Iceland that my son gave me. Useful, but as it was written from the perspective of someone in a car.The "shortly you will pass" bits, sometimes took two and a half days to reach!  :D
Only one day of rain, and the strong wind, when it came, was behind me, offering motorcycle speeds across the highlands. I was advised that the wind in the interior tends to blow from the north.
Almost every second day I passed a natural hot pool that I was able to dip in to, fantastic for the cycling legs ( and bum) The most beautiful right down at the rocks at the coastline in amongst the seaweed. Like getting in to a deep hot rock pool for an hour  mmmm
. If anyone who is heading up these routes wants any more info, please do not hesitate to get back here. I am definitely fitter than before I went.Some of the hills in the Westfjiords are incredibly steep and high.Most going from sea level to 2000/2500 ft passes. Most days I though that I would not make it on the bike (with 30 kilos of luggage) but crossed every one, with a huge grin.
cxheers for now SN

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
Thanks for the summary.