Author Topic: From here to expedition.....  (Read 12768 times)

ianshearin

From here to expedition.....
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »
As a new person approaching mid life (ok already there) and about to do an expedition I thought I would document my purchases for the trip.
I am starting from scratch so thought this might be useful for others who are thinking about a trip and find themselves starting with a blank canvas like myself.

I will update this post as and when I acquire gear.

Current Total -(Approx)  £2,370

Thorn Raven Tour - (Discontinued frame) Standard Thorn spec except for: Alfine Gears, Shimano Dyna hub, Rear Rack - £1250
Ergon PC2 Pedals- £54
Brooks B17 Honey £65
Thorn T-Bar £17
Rear Carradry Panniers and a Saddle bag (Seconds from Carradice factory) £50
Sleep Bag Allready Owned £0
Cycle clothing, mostly from Tenn outdoors £80
Front Panniers, ebay generic £20
Vango Banshee 300 Tent £98
Front rack, ebay £12
Stuff sack Pillow £13
Powermonkey £44
Lighter £12
Kelly Kettle Cooker £59
Pillow £5
Helinox Chair £81
Thermarest Mat £55
Micro towel £18
Click Stand £35
Garmin Edge 800 £240
Europe maps for Garmin £62
Bar Bag £50
Some minor stuff Tape, Bungees, Cutlery £10
Ipad/Iphone/Kindle allready owned £0
Medical bag, ibrufen, spray Skin, Sunblock/Moisteriser/Repellant, Shave oil, Toothpaste/brush £20
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:34:45 am by ianshearin »
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

Re: From here to expedition.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »
Ian i reckon by the time you finish your wish list you will be up around £5,000,so bike sorted now what's next. ;)

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
You wont be far off Jags, I was expecting a budget of about £4,500 but the bike has cut that down.
I am hoping it will be around 4k now, but time will tell.....

Next on my radar is a set of rear panniers, at the minute the Carradice Super C are my favourite, I have seen best price at just under £100 but Im happy to go with second hand on these items.
Oops forgot to add the saddle I bought few Months ago...
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:15 pm »
what about tent have you one in mind.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
Trying to remember where you are Ian but if not too far might be worth a trip to Caradice in Nelson (Lankashire) as you may fall lucky on a pair of panniers and possible even a barbag from the "seconds" shelf"

If you are looking at cutting your budget even further Altura panniers are great value for money and some of the older models come up on ebay second hand fro peanuts. The only downsie is the need to use either covers (supplied) or sperately wrap the contents in waterproof bags (possibly a sensible precaution with any pannier bag).

I still love my Carradice Super C's although I have a set of the Ortlieb's too and they are great if a bit boring.

Like trying to compare an E Type Jag to a new BMW M5

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »
I thought I would document my purchases for the trip...
This is really useful and will be very valuable to others coming on and going forward, Ian. I've been wishing for something like this for some time; well done!

Sure, everyone does things a little differently, but this will be one man's way of going about it, and it'll be a great way to see what choices you make and why as we see the meter running.

Can't wait for the next installment!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks Einstein had it right about the relativity of time...never slower than when you're awaiting a much-anticipated delivery)

ianshearin

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Dan....

Tent is proving difficult at the Minute Jags, I cant decide on a tent yet as there are wildly different reviews around and prices can go from £200 to £800, this will be a purchase based on opportunity I think, ebay or fellow enthusiasts selling a used one may be the way to go

Im only 30mins away from the Carradice factory Andy....  ;D
'shing xiong'

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »
Even if you dont buy anything Ian it is still worth the visit just for the atmosphere. If you give them a call they will confirm their opening times and you just drop in (no appointment needed) and see what they have.

Only take as much money though as you are happy to spend. I took a bank card with me and it still hasn't forgiven me - lol

Andy

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »
Would make a nice trip out on the bike too. Some really nice riding around there.

Andy

ianshearin

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »
Thanks Andy, I think I will do that.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »
yeah tents drive a fella nuts trying to choose, one thing you got to see it pitched before you part with any money.
if i had seen the akto pitched i would never have bought it ,don't get me wrong its a super tent and highly regarded.... but by experience camp dwellers of which i am not  ::)
the robins tent i posted on looks a much better tent ticks all the box's except maybe on weight, but what the hell the only time you feel your carrying to much  weight is when the going  getting tough    hills wind or whatever .
gas stoves are great but a pain in the ass trying to find the proper cylinder when you run out, take a small one for emergency's but the petrol stove is  the way to go no need to worry about packing  bulky gas.

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »
There's a Hilleberg Stalon on ebay just now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilleberg-Stalon-/261169840678?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item3cceef8226&_uhb=1
Superb cycle touring tent, I've been using mine for 15 years, unfortunately they stopped making them a couple of years ago.
The one on ebay is red though so not so good for blending in.
And maybe not the best option for Africa or such hot climates but there is a kit to allow inner only pitching.
Loads of room for two people and like a palace for just one.
Depending on bike size and saddle/handlebar height, it is possible to fit a bike in one of the vestibules.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:26:56 pm by rualexander »

ianshearin

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
Thats a nice tent Rual,
Unfortunately purchases of that cost are going to have to wait a few Months, for now its getting the bike up and running so I can train and then start on the expedition gear in the Summer.
Thanks for the link though  ;)
'shing xiong'

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
I'm reading Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips. I like a lot of the approach but it is focused on wilderness hiking: cycling is most often something quite different. Of course there are folks who get out away from towns for days at a time, but that is hardly the most common cycling. But the core principles still apply, the idea of travel as a way to experience the world more intimately.

Cycling in general is not a wilderness activity. One of my research directions is to understand how our road system was transformed by cycling, that a lot of the change we usually ascribe to the rise of the automobile was actually initiated by the earlier rise of the bicycle. Anyway, the cyclist's road is generally a good bit smoother than the hiker's trail. Cycling is more tied in to the human world rather than the wilderness.

So the world the cyclist experiences, which which the cyclist has the opportunity to cultivate intimacy, is a different world than the hiker's world. This is just a crude generalization of course. I saw a slide show this past week given by a physician who'd been on a mission in Nangchen, in Western Szechuan province in China. The terrain there is very rugged. I saw lots of single track paths in those slides and I expect that's how a lot of the country folk get home. That's not so common most places, I don't think.

Wilderness hikers aren't living off the land, other than accessing water... well, I guess there are trees and sticks that can be used as tarp supports. But food gets packed in and most any other supplies needed. Cycling is usually different. One can buy food along the way and fuel and probably some other basic supplies.

The interplay between cyclists and their world is very rich and diverse. A general guide to ultralight wilderness travel seems possible just because the interactions are more limited. A cyclist's guide will have to cover a much more diverse set of environments!

jags

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »
Ian theres a hubba hubba tent for sale on cyclechat £125.

sorry jim didn't mean to jump in there. ::)