Author Topic: Cycling kit on a budget  (Read 2595 times)

JWestland

Cycling kit on a budget
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:43 pm »
Hi -

Maybe this is already done to death somewhere but...I see many posts of people getting new Thorns, and Gore kit, but also posts of people hunting bargains and second hands. So I thought maybe it would be good to share our tips on cycling on a budget, if you want to go tour with a Thorn, Carradice/Ortlieb kit, and Gore but...you can't quite stretch it to get it all new. Or can you?

BIKE SAVING TIPS

E-bay is really fantastic here. There are second hand Thorns up regularly (though if under 5.8 or over 6.2 you might need to wait a bit and rare sizes can be more expensive, or not sell in that case you do get a bargain)

E-bay is also great for second hand parts, wheels, chainsets etc etc that new can cost an absolute fortune. But some people want the newest of the new, and they are great for pedal and gearing bargains. BUT don't get new road stuff higher than Shimano 105 as it's built for weight, not for lasting.

Gumtree is another site where you can get lucky, but there's no buyer protection like e-bay.

CLOTHING

Again, e-bay.

However, if you don't mind wearing runners kits instead of cycling kit (for underlayers or non-waterproof jackets there can be little difference) or don't mind wonky colours you can get very good deals in TKMAXX and other outlets shops. A lycra running top is as good as a cycling top under most conditions.

Just my two cents if you have anything to share, fire away!

Again e-
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

Re: Cycling kit on a budget
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:38:13 pm »
I have had some good buys from Sports Depot with both karrimor running and cycling apperel. It is about a quarter the price of famous named stuff and almost as good.

The only thing I dont like is their cycling shorts/trousers/bibs have the biggest most uncomfortable pads I have ever seen.

The Karrimor running hat and gloves are very warm / windproof and very cheap.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
Aldi has just had a cycling special. Really good stuff sometimes if your willing to take a risk. They are German after all.
My Sports Direct Karrimor gloves cost £1.99 and are windproof and warm down to 5 degrees. They have no waterproofness what so ever though.
My Muddy Fox mitts, £4.99 from the same place have no padding and are still going strong after cycling to Istanbul. They are a nicer fit than my £30 specialized padded mitts and easier to get off!
Wiggles DhB range are always worth a look and usually have plenty of feedback on the item.

BUT BEST VALUE IS.....
Top of the range, expensive brands, 2nd hand from ebay.
WHY?
Because you can sell it for pretty much what you pay for it, providing you haven't trashed it:)
It took me two years to find my Nomad but I got it in the end. Planning ahead..saves cash.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:57:19 pm »
I have Goretex for hillwalking and mountain climbing, where it could save your life. But it's too bulky to do double duty as cycling gear, and, considering the cost (my Berghaus mountain jacket was £700!) it doesn't last long enough. You can't justify it for cycling, at least not my sort of cycling where I'm never more than ten minutes from people who will offer me shelter if it suddenly starts hailing moonstones.

What I like is:

1. Running gear from Lidl. I have several pairs of running tights from Lidl that are marvellous for all kinds of weather, by weight, and last quite well, especially if you take care of the zips. I have a skullcap from Lidl that really works in all weathers. I went looking for another one today, when they came into stock, but the usual horde of early shoppers cleared the shelves.

2. Bicycling gear from Lidl. I don't buy padded pants. That's what I have Brooks saddle for; running pants work much better for me. But Lidl cycling jackets are not bad. I have several and they all work as advertised -- as someone already said, as you expect from Germans. The jackets I have are clearly made on the same production line as expensive branded stuff sold by CRC, Wiggle, etc.

3. My best cycling jacket cost €15 at a sale at Dunne's Stores about 10-12 years ago. I bought it becauses it was bright yellow, then cut vents under the styling flaps. I discovered it was made on the same production line as a famous branded jacket for £180, just without the vents, but with the flaps. I got oil on it recently, but otherwise it is still as smart as when it was new. I wish I bought three. Waterproof, windproof, breathing outer, dirt repelling, superb. One thing mine doesn't have is a long cycling tail, but I bought it a size too big, thinking to wear it over bulky sweaters, and on my bike I don't wear bulky sweaters, just a brushed cotton or plain cotton shirt because the jacket is warm enough, so it is long enough to keep my bum and the seat dry.

4. Khakis and corduroys from Marks & Spencer. I cycle in whatever I'm wearing, dressing for cycling in tights only when I intend cycling immediately on rising; it's one of the advantages of a hub gearbox and a full chain guard and block pedals  that when you decide to go, you just grab your shades and your helmet and you blow through, no delays to change.

5. I bought 15 wide cut cotton business shirts at a sale specifically for cycling. They allow air circulation and are cool in summer. I bought 15 brushed cotton shirt, thick workman type, at a sale, specifically for cycling; I had to go back and buy up the shop's entire stock because my family grabbed my first batch for themselves. I'm wearing one now, that today I rode in; it doesn't smell and it doesn't stick. Both lots are so good, they've become my favourite all-purpose shirts. I find wool too warm for cycling, though I like angora longjohns (under €20 at Lidl) when it is really, really cold. But cotton in the right weight is a three-and-three-quarters season cycling material in my mild climate.

6. Cotton jackets, with or without liner according to season, from M&S, Dunne's, Heaton's (cheap department store), do pretty well as windbreakers and a spray of Nikwax over the shoulders and down the outside of the arms make them decently showerproof.

7. My emergency folding rainwear, carried on the bike, is all from Lidl and cost well under €40 altogether. The trousers are styled and have fittings for putting them on over shoes, and then to tighten the lower leg so there's no wind flap, nor spraying of water over everything.

8. One thing for cyclists at Lidl that isn't so good is their toolkits. Cheap crap. The underseat bah though is worth the price of the entire kit to carry your own, proper, multitool etc.

9. I've recently discovered that a cheap fleece (€15), which I bought at Heaton's for rubbing paint brushes to a point to save the easel from getting into a mess, is both windproof and more than slightly showerproof, and a very comfortable cycling cut too. I've bought a second one and will try it when it gets colder in the place of the lined cotton jacket.

10. In general, I just don't see the point of paying huge loadings for "cycling" brand names when the stuff I buy at inexpensive department stores (Marks & Sparks --- they're Brooks Brothers in the States, for our transatlantic cousins -- Dunne's, Heaton's) clearly comes from the same production line, is made from the same materials, and is cheap enough to trash without tears if you make a mistake (a fleece that was sticky-hot, heavy and soaked up and retained water like a facecloth -- the cats were happy to have it though; cycling trousers with unsuitable pads or easily-broken lightweight zips from Lidl, mickey mouse stuff that I laughed off, as I wouldn't laugh off a Goretex jacket that leaked -- I made them give me three in a row, and then made them give my money back).

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:10:38 pm by Hobbes »

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:20 pm »
I'm also convinced that in cycling components anything more expensive than Shimano's Deore range has first to justify itself, prove that you're getting something extra, and not just snob value.

Special mention to the Kinex bottom brackets from Czechoslovakia, which are under a tenner and very, very good.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:06 am »
Hi All!

Over the years, I've purchased many of my cycling jerseys from the Goodwill Industries chain of thrift shops, but the supply is extremely uneven and there are long droughts (as much as 18-20 months) between offerings. Many are race/ride commemoratives made by famous names or are unsold leftovers from failed shops. Unused/unworn jerseys go for about USD$3 -$7. Tyvek jackets are about $1-$2. The trouble is, the staff don't know where to file cycling clothes. Often, jerseys end up being stocked along with pajamas, t-shirts, or soccer jerseys.  I once found a wonderful pair of brand-new (with tags) men's Pearl Izumi 3/4 winter bib-tights for $14 (MSRP was $125)...filed under women's yoga wear. You have to really hunt for the good stuff, as it can be anywhere in the stores.

I always buy my riding shorts new.

I...still have wool shorts and jerseys, but have put them in storage for the most part 'cos synthetics are easier to care for and don't attract clothes moths. They do stay freshest for long periods between available water when touring, but are least practical for drying after field-laundering.

Many of the jerseys I get are store donations that cannot be sold as new (even with tags) 'cos of small but prominent oil or grease stains. Anyone who has gone on continuous tours of any length will acquire such stains of their own, and they do not alter the garment's function. I embarked on my 2010 Great Basin tour with a brand-new, bright yellow sun-filtering jersey made for that purpose in Brazil. By the second day, it had acquired a few spots from shouldering the loaded (and heavy! 109lb/49kg) bike for creek crossings, guardrail portages, and light bouldering. D'i'nt look like new after that. I usually take the more cosmetically-challenged stuff for extended tours. I have a food chain for my jerseys and bike stuff...the older gear gets to go on the Big Trips.

I save the "nice" stuff for everyday rides and day-tours, where it can be used for decades and still look nearly new thanks to different, much gentler use.

Best,

Dan. (good stuff's at Goodwill...sometimes)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:22:55 am by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:06:39 am »
The question we are all asking ourselves Dan is why were you looking through the ladies yoga clothes!!!

On the same point we have a lot of second hand clothes shops here in Bulgaria that sell clothes by the kg with prices getting cheaper and cheaper each day.

It is not unusual for me to pick up cycling bibs for less than a pound but the same story as Dan - the staff never know where to put cycling stuff.

The other week there was a pair of brand new Shimano spd winter cycling shoes in a size 9 for 2 pounds. I considered chopping of my big toes to fit inthem.

I have a full rail of cycling tops that are all too small for me. By the end of the week they are selling them for about 10p each and it is hard to say no.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:34:03 am »
The question we are all asking ourselves Dan is why were you looking through the ladies yoga clothes!!!

Why...to find the Men's cycling bibs, Andy!  ;D They "hide" 'em real goooood!

[wrt the shoes] I considered chopping of my big toes to fit inthem.

Saves weight! More aerodynamic! Looking at the hatchet and axe with that in mi--...nah, the blood loss would dehydrate me. No net performance gain. ;)

All the best,

Dan. ("I'm uh, training!"...isn't that the usual answer?)

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:13:40 am »
LOL  ;D

Well I got my SPDs with cleats for £24 and trainer pedals on e-bay, no need to chop toes off!

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)